Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Jones

Terry Jones

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

I was told by nortons that when using their software that I am to turn off windows firewall. Dell says not to.
What do I do? :thumbsup:
Terrbear

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

Hi Terry, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Well, it's your choice really. Just as long as you are not running two firewalls as this can cause issues.

It is not a good idea to turn off the Windows firewall if you don't have any another firewalls to use. But using Norton's instead of Window's should be just fine, too.

I think you will hear from people that Windows Firewall sucks, etc, but the truth is a firewall, ANY firewall, is better than none.

If someone is trying to hack into computers, they are looking for unprotected computers. So a firewall will deter them. Of course, if someone is determined to break into your computer they can do so by defeating ANY firewall, but why would they want to do this when there are millions of unprotected computers to hack into much more easily? Think of it like a car thief. Typically he will go through a parking lot and look for an unlocked car to steal. He could just break the window of any car he wants and steal it, but he won't. Too much work and hasle. Why not just keep looking and find one that is unlocked, or has the keys in it? That would be much easier. And the same is true for your computer. By installing a firewall, ANY firewall, you will deter a hacker.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 31 March 2006 - 08:15 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:48 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Terry

AF is right some firewall is better than none. The whole truth is you should have layered security. Antivirus, antispyware, a firewall and if you have DSL or cable a router. Even if you only have one computer. Here is a list of freeware security software. Only run one antivirus and firewall, but please use as many antispywares as your system resources (RAM & Hard Drive space) will allow.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:15 AM

The Windows firewall offers only protection against incoming threats and not any protection against outgoing.

Most other firewalls, either freeware such as Zonealarm, Sygate or several others or commercial ones for which you pay, like Norton's (make sure it is their firewall product you have available - not just their anti-virus program), provide both incoming and outgoing protection. You need the protection against outgoing threats to prevent phone-homes, trojans, autodialers (which can connect to 900 numbers and run up huge phone bills which you may be legally liable to pay) from sending your personal information like credit card numbers, passwords, bank accounts, etc to miscreants whose malware might infect your computer.

If you decide to use a seperate firewall, turn the Windows firewall off. The service rep at Dell either didn't understand the question or didn't know the right answer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 March 2006 - 10:16 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

What particular Norton's software were you using that "requires" you to turn off your firewall?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Terry Jones

Terry Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome, I am using 2006 which I installed last month. The main problem I am having is some of the live updates will download but will not install. All norton has to say is we will get back to you on this, well it has been more then three days. When I call them back they keep saying "we will get back to you". I think that if I have to call them back I will till them what I REALLY think of their software.
So, I wasn't sure if the firewall was the issue. I have windows firewall on now.
Terrbear

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:23 PM

It seems thay have some issues with Systemworks 2006.
Is that what you have?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:17 AM

I have a suggestion, but is ain't pretty. Download one of the freeware antivirus' and firewall programs. Do not install them yet. Go off line then unistall Norton. Once you have unistalled Norton install the freeware antivirus and friewall. Run them for a while and see if your problem clears up.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6 (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

This would be one of those last ditch solutions. By the way if you are worried about the freeware software I recommended. Most of the staff and members use it. It is very effective and highly recommended.

#9 Terry Jones

Terry Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

When I bought my Dell PC it came with Norton's, as you guys know. Last month I upgraded to the new 2006 NAV. It was working fine up until two weeks ago. It will not install some of the live updates. Come to think of it I used to get a little window at the bottom of the screen to lit me know that new updates have been installed but I haven't seen it popup lately. I will be calling Norton's today and if they can't help, then I will take acklan's advice with the downloads. I will keep you posted on the out come. Thanks for the help.
Terrbear

#10 Terry Jones

Terry Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

Well, I took your advice acklan and downloaded AVG and SyGate, then uninstalled Nortons. Not to sure about SyGate because when it ask you if you want to allow this site some of them I reconized and some I don't, so I don't know if it's a good site or a bad site. I will try these programs for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help.
Terrbear

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

If you are not sure Block but don't check the remember box to the left. If after blocking it a few times they is no problem the select to remember and block it permentily. The same with allow. If it is and one time event do not check the remember box.
It is a good solid program and takes a "hands on" approach to get the best results. After you execute most of your programs and set the Block and Allow for them it will slw down. I find most of the selection are made in the first 7 to 10 days. After a month it is very managable.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Well, I took your advice acklan and downloaded AVG and SyGate, then uninstalled Nortons. Not to sure about SyGate because when it ask you if you want to allow this site some of them I reconized and some I don't, so I don't know if it's a good site or a bad site. I will try these programs for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

A good rule of thumb is that if the firewall request pops up while you are opening an ap that should connect to the internet - allow it.

Also - research others that popup. They may be the antivirus and antimalware update engines.

Zonealarm gives you some info on what app it is, others should as well. You can leave the approval box open, open another browser copy and put the name of the ap that is trying to get through in the google search box and see what results you get.

#13 Terry Jones

Terry Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks again for the advice. I do have some reservations with Sygate, lol, it is a symantec product.
Terrbear

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

I had the same reservation, but I tried it and was pleasently surprize have light and nimble it was. It is almost transparent once configured and very light on resources. Strong contrast to NIS.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:10 AM

It is a Semantic product now, but it wasn't originally (I don't think).

I believe Semantic acquired it recently (which is why many believe it won't be free for long), but if it works for you and you like it, use it as long as its free.

I personally have been using ZoneAlarm for several years and through many version updates (the last being just a few days ago) and am completely happy with it, so if you ever run into any problems with Sygate just switch to one of the other freeware ones.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 01:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users