Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting to blank grey screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Liijan

Liijan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me... I started my computer last night and it booted to a blank grey screen, which changed into stripes when Windows loaded. I could hear the normal sounds of my stuff loading, so it's not that the computer isn't booting right. When I push and hold the button in and then reboot, it's fine. It happened the same way again this morning. Is there a way to check the video card, if that's the problem? Thanks.

W XP, Media Center Edition
Ver 2002, SP3
Emachine W3507
Intel Celeron D CPU 3.20 G
RAM 896

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.
Moved from XP to internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

I hadn't realized that this is a duplicate topic. I will have a moderator close one of these.

Mod Edit: Not a dupe - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Liijan

Liijan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think it may be the monitor, because I'm pretty sure it flashed up that grey screen after I had already shut my computer off. I'll try another monitor and see if that's it, thanks! :busy:

#4 Liijan

Liijan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hello, I'm posting again after not being able to find my original post about this same issue. My eMachines 15-inch flat-screen monitor is not starting properly when cold, if I push the button to turn it on, it just blinks and does nothing. After (it seems) it's given a chance to warm up, it will switch to a steaked grey screen in which you can see my desktop in the background. It will sometimes switch to different streaked areas also.

If I continue to turn it on and off, eventually it starts normally, and during display has no other issues. Since it's just the starting up that is an issue, does anyone know what part would need replaced? Thanks!

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

No-one will be able to know for sure what needs to be replaced (if anything) in a monitor just from reading a description.

However, the commonest cause of faults similar to what you describe is either faulty electrolytic capacitors, or tarnished contacts in the LVDS loom that connects the signal processing board to the LCD panel. If you are able to do electronic repairs including soldering (sodering in the US... :) ) it could be a feasible repair, but whether it's worth attempting for a 15" screen is another consideration.

What precisely is "it" that blinks, eg the indicator light, the backlight, the screen image?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Liijan

Liijan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I was referring to the display, the screen image... although the button's light also blinks. Not sure what the backlight is. And the repair isn't something I can't be bothered doing, it's that I can't afford another monitor, so it's worth it to me. Or do you mean the parts are expensive? I had suspected the capacitors from reading other sources, but will have to research how to replace them. Thanks.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

If both the indicator light and the screen image blink on and off, then there's a good chance the problem could be capacitors. My comment on the feasibility of the repair was because a 15" wouldn't be worth spending much money on, but if you only had to buy some capacitors and could do the fitting yourself, then OK.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users