Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mixing RAM CAS latencies/voltages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ben79k

ben79k

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

Hey guys,

Little bit of a preamble but last time I posted here I was not too skilled with computers, but always interested. Since then i've become a Computer Tech at a local shop and I absolutely love all of the learning and hands on experience involved... Anyways; I've got a bench system at work that I use to test peoples hard drives or whatever needs doing. It's an Ebay special, comprised of an Asus P5QL-PRO with core 2 quad q9550 clocked at 3.7Ghz and an Nvidia 8800GT in an open air "backbone" of a case which I cut up at the metal shop.

Where's the RAM in those base specs you may ask? well, I've had a lot of trouble finding DDR2 on ebay for cheap so what I ended up winning was 2x2GB Gskill pc2-8000 2.0-2.1V from a sketchy seller for ridiculously cheap like all my other parts. It was great until I tried it and couldn't get a post. One stick was bad. Now i'm forced to shop around for a second stick to pull me to 4GB. I have seen many other brands at Cas4, Cas 5, and Cas6, ranging also between 1.8V-2.1V and I'm wondering how important it is to match a dual channel set for CAS latency and voltage.

Long story short. Can I have one stick pc2-8000 2.1V Cas5 and another let's say pc2-8400f 1.9V Cas6 or will it just hate on me 24/7? What factors are most important? Is mixing latencies worst? Is mixing voltages worst? I know the speeds can adjust.

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

If you want to run the memory in dual channel the modules must be identical to each other to perform correctly. So the answer to your question would be no. RAM manufacturers sell their modules in pairs so that dual channel will not be a iffy proposition.

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, i'll wait till I see another person who has one of two modules of the kit I bought..

For pure interest sake, how bad would things work if I did have 0.1-0.2 V difference and 1 latency difference? Constant BSOD? Constant logical errors? Heat issues on one of the DIMMS?

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Most memory controllers have separate settings for each bank. If not, you may have to resort to manual settings and force the CAS latency to the longer time. With the different specs you won't be running in dual channel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Good to know. Thanks!
I'm going to contact G.Skill directly and ask them if they'll sell me a single module from a kit.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Google the model number for the module, you'll probably find it online, it may even be cheaper than they will sell it to you. Worth a shot.

#7 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

G.Skill refused to sell me a module standalone, but offered RMA service even though I admitted to not be the original owner. TOO BAD I THREW THE RAM OUT AND KEPT THE HEAT SPREADER >:(
Was it wrong for me to think that 3 year old RAM would not be under warrenty after two owners both overclocking it?
also quick props to G.Skill and a recommendation if you ever have to deal with them; 25 MINUTE REPLY TIME, then after my immediate email reply, I got the second reply in 2 MINUTES. best customer support I've seen.
Thanks for your help again, this topic is pretty much done now. <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users