Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Current new tower build

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

I've been getting help on this forum building myself a new computer. I just wanted to take the time to write it all down and see what people think about my current planned setup.
I made a change here and there, but here's what I got so far, minus having decided on a tower (Which obviously will be Extended ATX.), power supply and cooling system:

Windows 8 Pro
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge
2x HIS Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2x8GB)
Main drive for OS install: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
Extra drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST
Rosewill RNX-N150PCe Wireless Adapter
Rosewill RC-401-EX NIC

Some thoughts of my own that you can comment on:
I'm thinking of changing the 2 graphics cards up there for 2 of the next level down. In other words, instead of 2 of the 7970 GHz, I would grab 2 of 7950 IceQ Turbo edition (I have a post about this in another thread I made.). That would save me about $200 for about 100MHz less per card, as well as 1000MHz "effective memory clock" less.
Also, in regards to the Wireless adapter, the main Gigabyte site says the motherboard's 2 PCI-Ex1 slots "conform to 2.0," so it should work with this card. If I'm wrong, please feel free to drill it into my head before I spend money on it.
And I know the motherboard comes with an integrated ethernet setup that's even better than the NIC I've chosen. But I would think a dedicated Network Interface Card would free up even the tiniest processing power, yes? Again, feel free to prove me wrong, please, and then I'll just not get the card.
I don't think I need to upgrade the processor to a 3930k, as I'm sure better stuff will come out with Haswell, at which point I'll need a new motherboard, anyways.
Still not sure about whether to upgrade the sound card or not if I'm using USB headsets sometimes and audio jack headsets at other times. I also want to audio-split for recording video/audio and broadcasting, or just splitting between multiple setups. I have another thread about sound cards to talk about this.

As for what's left... Power supply will be the last thing I buy. I'll decide on the tower first, which I hope I won't need help on deciding, before getting the cooling system. I wanted to go nitrogen, oil or whatever the liquid type cooling system is, because it's something I can stick into any other tower and setup, and thus will last me a long time while still providing superior cooling. There's a thread on the cooling system, too.

Well, sorry for the wall of text. Tell me anything you think or have on your mind. I'm going to take a break, because I need one (I've never done this before, and I'm a bit overwhelmed.). :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Looks good but do note that motherboard is a E-ATX which is even larger then ATX, so choose case that can support E-ATX. Scrap that NIC card because there is already dual ethernet port on the motherboard itself. The extra drive is unneccessary, a standard hard drive would do or get the 256GB SSD as the main drive. If you wanted to cut back then the 7950s would do and it is around the performance of a 660TI. When you mentioned " whatever the liquid type cooling system is, because it's something I can stick into any other tower and setup, and thus will last me a long time ", it is not necessarily true, as time goes by the socket changes and coolers can only be compatible with a certain amount sockets. So if you bought one now, chances are that in the next 10 years it may not be compatible.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

What exactly will this computer be used for? I imagine gaming, but which games specifically? A few things...

1. Don't look at the performance of each individual part, but the PC overall to determine what you should get in terms of hardware.

2. Remember, your goal with framerate in games should be 60 frames per second. Unless you have a 120 Hz. or 3D monitor, 60 fps is a sweet spot as anything above that with V Sync turned off will cause tearing.

3. By getting an E-ATX board, you are limiting yourself to only certain Full ATX cases, which tend to be larger and more expensive. Frankly, I don't see the need for an E-ATX board over a standard ATX.

4. Given how cheap SSD's are, it is becoming more economically practical to use two SSD's, one for the OS and the other for programs. But your data, such as music, videos, etc., really should be on a traditional platter-based drive. That is, unless you are willing to spend the money on a 500GB SSD and have a small amount of data.

5. As a good middle ground between a 7950 and 7970, consider the ZOTAC ZT-60301-10P GeForce GTX 670 2GB as it is about 10% to 15% more powerful in some games than the 7950, and almost equals the 7970.

6. Having a dedicated NIC card is unnecessary. The processing hit of having on board in really, really small and will not impact your performance in games.

7. Unless you really know what you're doing, stay away from liquid cooling unless it is a completely closed loop system like the CORSAIR Hydro Series H55. You should not consider this unless you are overclocking as a good air cooler will do very well without hassle.

3939.png

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Things I'd change
Main drive to the 256gb ssd for OS and games
buy a 500gb to 1tb hdd for storage
Rosewill wireless adapter for either Dlink or Asus
Rosewill Nic for Intel NIC I have heard only good things about them and dont worry about cpu overhead you have more than enough power
7970s or 7950's are fine
but 7950s overclocked to 1100mhz will beat 7970 ghz edition which beat 680's IIRC

#5 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Looks good but do note that motherboard is a E-ATX which is even larger then ATX, so choose case that can support E-ATX. Scrap that NIC card because there is already dual ethernet port on the motherboard itself. The extra drive is unneccessary, a standard hard drive would do or get the 256GB SSD as the main drive. If you wanted to cut back then the 7950s would do and it is around the performance of a 660TI. When you mentioned " whatever the liquid type cooling system is, because it's something I can stick into any other tower and setup, and thus will last me a long time ", it is not necessarily true, as time goes by the socket changes and coolers can only be compatible with a certain amount sockets. So if you bought one now, chances are that in the next 10 years it may not be compatible.

I really know nothing about cooling systems. So cooling systems are built specifically for certain socket types?

What exactly will this computer be used for? I imagine gaming, but which games specifically? A few things...

1. Don't look at the performance of each individual part, but the PC overall to determine what you should get in terms of hardware.

2. Remember, your goal with framerate in games should be 60 frames per second. Unless you have a 120 Hz. or 3D monitor, 60 fps is a sweet spot as anything above that with V Sync turned off will cause tearing.

3. By getting an E-ATX board, you are limiting yourself to only certain Full ATX cases, which tend to be larger and more expensive. Frankly, I don't see the need for an E-ATX board over a standard ATX.

4. Given how cheap SSD's are, it is becoming more economically practical to use two SSD's, one for the OS and the other for programs. But your data, such as music, videos, etc., really should be on a traditional platter-based drive. That is, unless you are willing to spend the money on a 500GB SSD and have a small amount of data.

5. As a good middle ground between a 7950 and 7970, consider the ZOTAC ZT-60301-10P GeForce GTX 670 2GB as it is about 10% to 15% more powerful in some games than the 7950, and almost equals the 7970.

6. Having a dedicated NIC card is unnecessary. The processing hit of having on board in really, really small and will not impact your performance in games.

7. Unless you really know what you're doing, stay away from liquid cooling unless it is a completely closed loop system like the CORSAIR Hydro Series H55. You should not consider this unless you are overclocking as a good air cooler will do very well without hassle.

Yes, hardcore gaming.
1-3: Yes, I kept in mind the overall system's setup. Which is why I want the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3. I searched many other boards but found that as soon as you have a Crossfire or SLI setup, the boards usually go x16/x8, x8/x8 or worse. If I just use 2 of the PCI-E3.0's and none of the 2.0's, they both run at x16, which won't cut the 2nd card's effectiveness in half.
4. Yes, I already have external HDD's for backup. And the Blu-Ray burner will help me clear up space should I ever need it.
5: That's a good point, actually. I forgot about games that include PhysX software, and remember reading somewhere that AMD card's are locked out of activating those, meaning I wouldn't get the full experience. I hope I'm wrong, though, because both the 7970 GHz and 7950 Turbo are amazing card's that are more powerful than the MSI Geforce GTX 670, when in Crossfire (Compared to 2 670's in SLI.).
6: I figured. It's probably a difference of a fraction of a frame per second, just like how RAM affects games by only a fraction, and only in certain games.
7: I haven't really taken the time to find and fully read any cooling system guide's, so I don't really know what a closed loop system is. Hopefully I'll know soon enough, because I do plan on overclocking (Not from the start, but it will happen eventually.)

Things I'd change
Main drive to the 256gb ssd for OS and games
buy a 500gb to 1tb hdd for storage
Rosewill wireless adapter for either Dlink or Asus
Rosewill Nic for Intel NIC I have heard only good things about them and dont worry about cpu overhead you have more than enough power
7970s or 7950's are fine
but 7950s overclocked to 1100mhz will beat 7970 ghz edition which beat 680's IIRC

Yeah, I thought about that after posting it. The 256GB of the Samsung 840 Pro series actually has more write speed. And since the install drive is where all temporary files go when saving, installing or even burning or converting files, it would make sense to have the faster of the drives as the main. Games I'm currently playing will also go on the main, with some back-up files or smaller games on the 128GB. As said above, I already have external HDD's for backup.
As for the graphics card, it may be true that overclocking the 7950 would provide more power than the 7970, but then the same could be said the other way around. I could always OC the 7970 GHz even more, yeah?

Thanks for the input. :)

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Yes, they generally support the current and most older sockets but chances are the future sockets is a no. The 7950 can out perform a 670 when large resolutions like 2560 x 1440 or higher is involved since the 7950 has a large memory bandwidth.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I went to do some more research on cooling systems when Firefox failed me completely. I now know more about cooling systems, I suppose, but I haven't really checked out benchmarks extensively.

I would like to post this in the cooling system thread, but that would be double-posting, so:

Are there any cooling systems that are not made with sockets in mind?

Is it possible to combine cooling system techniques, say a heat sink with a fan-based liquid cooling system? It would possibly allow me to buy different, cheaper, cooling systems, instead of a much bigger and more expensive, cooling system?

I think I'll take out the ethernet adapters. It really should not make much of a difference, and the on-board wired/wireless is pretty great.

Does 1000MHz "effective memory clock" speed on a GPU really have much of an effective in the long run? Or would there be not much of a noticeable difference between the 7950 and the 7970, a year from now, and factoring in things like overclocking?

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

It would all depend on the cooling solution you get, for example most heatsinks or radiators you can change fans to ones you like. There is a variety of coolers that cover ranges of price bracket, something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Evo is a good cheap cooler for some light overclocking. The specs of a GPU doesn't necessarily determine the performance, you should look at real world performances.

Edited by killerx525, 11 February 2013 - 12:00 AM.

>Michael 

#9 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

For cooling systems, is building my own cooling system still better than buying everything-I-need packages for something like a liquid cooling system? Would I need to worry about erosion even if the metals are the same, and thus need to consider future replacements? Is there a place I can compare the different types of liquids as to how much they cool? How many degrees would overclocking, say, 1GHz, raise my temperature by?

Are these questions better suited for overclock.net? dry.png

Sorry if I'm asking a lot in this topic, but I still don't want to double-post.

I don't really think I need to make a new topic to ask this, though:

Would 850W be enough of a power source for this computer, including overclocking? I know the individual parts are pretty powerful in terms of power...

(Wattage is all I need to look at in regards to a power source, right?)

Edit: Suppose I should update the list now. I'll edit the first post, too, but here's some minor changes:

I'm going to go with the 7970 GHz and am not really considering the 7950 anymore, as I feel the 7970 will last me longer. Feel free to prove me wrong.

I'm going to remove the sound card as well as both network cards. What comes included with the motherboard is much better than all of those, and really won't effect the CPU's performance during games.

I'm going to switch the main and backup drive. Since the install drive is where all the temp files, everything else, goes to while being processed (Moving files, installing, etc.), it would probably speed up my computer usage to have that as the main drive for the OS as well as the bigger games that have longer load times. I might just get a 2nd 256gb for the backup, but I doubt it, as I really don't need that (Yet.).

Also, in terms of the case, would it improve any cooling system if the fans faced up? I figure since heat rises, fans pushing air out the top would help cool the computer better than to one of the sides. I could be wrong, of course.

Edit2: Suppose I'm too used to other forums. I guess I can't edit my previous posts.

Edited by SirMaximusOwnage, 11 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

1. You could "build" your own cooling system but that's basically custom watercooling which gets a whole lot more complex. Temperature would vary based on your overclock settings ie. Vcore.

2.850W is more then enough.

3. The 7970GHz Edition is a fine choice.

4. The fans would either be intake or exhaust and depends on the case.

>Michael 

#11 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Well, that didn't really answer my question about fans pointing upwards, but I suppose that deserves it's own thread. As for cooling, I should probably take that to Overclock.net.

I'll start the other thread later. I'm not in a hurry.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

You gonna have to elaborate on "fans pointing upwards". If your planning to do custom watercooling, my suggestion is to stay away from it as it is an overkill and requires maintenance. You can simply get a Corsair H100i which will perform well and keep the heat down. 

>Michael 

#13 SirMaximusOwnage

SirMaximusOwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

By "fans pointing upwards," I meant fans connected to the ceiling of the tower, pushing air out the top of the case.

#14 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

For Cooling 3 options I'd recommend Air, closed loop and custom water loop

Air

low

Hyper 212+

med

Corsair A70

High

Noctua NDH14

Phanteks PH-14TCPE

Thermalright Silver Arrow

Closed loop

Corsair h100i

NZXT Kraken X60

Custom

Xpsc raystorm http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c321/s1310/list/p1/b49/XSPC-Water_Cooling_Kits_-_Brands-XSPC_Water_Cooling_Kits-Page1.html

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Depending on the type of the case you choose you can let the top fans exhaust out hot air which is perfectly fine.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users