Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Force Ethernet To Connect

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:08 AM

I'm helping a friend set up CCTV for his office. It connects to his PC via Ethernet so it can send pictures to a monitoring station.

The PC (XP Home) is connected to the internet via a router, connected via USB.

The Ethernet adapter showed as disconnected, with the red cross through it. I entered the ip address of the CCTV system and could ping it in CMD prompt.

However, I got the Ethernet adapter to show as being connected by going into the advance settings and chnaging the link speed from Auto-negotiation to 10baseT. Now when I try to ping the same ip address it says unable to establih connection??

If I ipconfig /all I get ip addresses for both the Ethernet adapter and the USB router. I think the ping was the router pinging some random site on the internet, that has the same ip address, or would this not be possible?

How do I make it use the Ethernet adapter to connect? I'm sure it's pinging using the router. Do I need to bridge the connections?

Sorry if this is not too clear. I was helping yesterday and I'm not sat at the machine now.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:16 AM

You probabily need to Port Forward the computer so that it can get thru the router's firewall.
What brand and model router are you using.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I explained it well enough :thumbsup:

The Ethernet cable connects directly to the CCTV control panel, not through the router.

It's one of these if it helps though.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:10 AM

The camera(s) are connected via ethernet, correct? Then the controller is connected thru the computer, correct? Where does the USB come into play?

#5 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:17 AM

The cameras connect to a control panel. This connects to the PC by Ethernet.

The PC is connected to the internet via USB through a router.

The cameras are meant to send the signal down the Ethernet, to the PC, then over the internet to the monitoring station.

The problem seems to be getting the PC to ping the CCTV control panel. If I ping an address, how do I know it's not an address on the internet, or the Ethernet adapter that's pinging the control panel?

For example, I typed in what I thought was the panel's ip address and get no response. If I ping a known website I get the 4 packets returned OK.

I hope that explains it a bit better.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

Did you read the intro to the site I linked to? It sounds like you need to open a port for the cameras to access on your router.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Make sure whatever ap is used on the computer to utilize the camera is enabled in your firewall and the transfer protocol used is compliant with the needs of the camera ap.

#8 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:49 AM

I read the link, thanks. I'm not sure how forwarding a port will enable the the Ethernet to connect to the control panel. Like I said, it doesn't connect through the router to that.

I'll look into the ap more next time I check it out. The company supplying it haven't actually set anything up on the PC yet as they said they can't access the controal panel. It's a bit of a catch 22 so, having rid the Ethernet adapter of the dreaded red cross, I want them to come back and set it up. Me being able to connect is to prove to them it works so they don't charge him for coming back.

Thanks for help so far. I'll keep you posted.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

Did you try to use XP's network connection wizard to connect to the camera control panel?

Theoretically, that should work.

#10 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:17 AM

OK. The latest. Network connection wizard didn't work completely.

The control panel has a green light and everything seems to be connected. Now I need to get the control panel to connect to the internet via the PC.

Theoretically, isn't this 2 networks? The network card and the router? Can I bridge them?

Or, will enablking Internet Connection Sharing work? Surely it's the same as connecting another PC directly by Ethernet to use the main PC's internet connection?

Thanks.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

It is two separate networks if my logic is right. The control panel will come in as an information input into your computer which will act as a router and share the info with the other computers you want to share it with.

One input from the camera control panel to one of your computer's cards. (think of it just as you would any other input to your computer) or you might be able to use a second router to distribute it to other computers which would require additional ethernet connections for those computers for the camera/control panel input This one would probably not be tcp/ip like an internet sharing connection or a file sharing network would be, but I don't know what protocol it would use. Ask the camera installers what to use for that.

The other ethernet card/port would be for two way communication with the router for your lan. ( which was already working - yes?)

They really should have nothing to do with each other except that your computer can be set up to share/forward the camera stuff to other computers on your network through the lan which was already set up. You may have to add permission for sharing the ap for the camera control panel or video out.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 April 2006 - 08:06 AM.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I explained it well enough :thumbsup:

The Ethernet cable connects directly to the CCTV control panel, not through the router.

It's one of these if it helps though.

That is a modem - an ADSL modem - not just a router. You need that for connecting to your ISP.

#13 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

Just to update you, seeing as you took the time to reply.

I took my laptop and the guy from the CCTV company was there. The laptop connected via Ethernet fine and he set up the panel.

This then gets connected to the router to share the internet access. This now doesn't work. The office has a static ip address but no luck. We were trying various things for 3 hours. Looks like the manufacturers will need to sort it.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users