Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when trying to re-install XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am working to fix a Lenova thinkcentre 6239w17.(dual core-64 bit) I have tried 3 times to install the os and keep getting this error "0x0000007b (0xf78d2524)
This is all of the steps I have made:
I ran a AVG boot disk and ran scans to fix a few infections...same results
I ended up running a Darik's boot & nuke....same results
I ran a hard disk regenerator program and it found no bad sectors
I also ran a Seagate disk checker (it is a 149 gb Seagate drive) it found no issues
I removed and re-seated the 2gb pc3-8500 memory stick
I removed the cmos battery for 1 minute and re-installed
It keeps telling me before I nuked it that "windows\system32\config\system) is missing or corrupt.
I also borrowed another copy of the os with same results

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

hi info in this link on how to repair missing config\system, good luck,hope it still works

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Edited by caperjac, 05 February 2013 - 05:31 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply....When I try to re-install, I can't get to the recovery console...When it says windows is starting I get "windows\system32\config\system) is missing or corrupt.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

The disc that you borrowed to reinstall the operating system, was it the same version as your XP?

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yes, both were xp pro....and yes I changed the boot order....somehow, it wont let me install xp because of the corrupt file

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Try running sfc /scannow (System File Checker).

I didn't know if you still had access to the installation CD, if you don't the instructions for using the *i386 file may come in hand.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

During this scan you may be prompted to insert your installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, if you have this disc you will want to have it available before you start the scan. If you don't have this disc and are prompted for it you will need to follow the *instructions for locating the i386 file.

To initiate this scan go to Start> Run and type in sfc /scannow and then press enter.

If files are found during this scan which need to be replaced you may be prompted to insert your installation disc, do so at that time. If it doesn't ask you for the disc this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files. In the event the the system asks you for the disc, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

*If you do not have this disc you will need to locate a directory on your system which is named i386. You will need to search for this in the registry, to do this type in regedit in the Run box and then press Enter, you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Posted Image

To find this you will need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see the list of HKEY options, please notice the arrow to the left of the option, when you click on this arrow the menu will expand and you will be able to find the next step SOFTWARE, expand the menu on this option and proceed till you reach Setup. Under Setup you will need to find SourcePath. The SourcePath probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:\, to do this double click on the SourcePath, a box will open where you will make this change by typing in C:\.

Restart your computer now and try running the scan again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for your help, but...I can't even get a cmd prompt
I have completely nuked the hd for a reformat

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Argggg!Posted Image

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

07B means there's an issue with your AHCI (SATA) drivers. In your case they are non-existent. You are not using the factory CD right?

If you have a floppy, download and extract this zip to a blank floppy. Insert floppy into drive, start setup, press F6 at the F6 prompt and follow along.

If you don't have a floppy drive, download and install nLite (Requires .NET Framework 2.0).
Read the guide at the site so you familiarize yourself with nLite.
Once you're ready, run nLite and once you're at the task selection screen, choose drivers and bootable ISO.

Posted Image

Click next and you will be at this screen...

Posted Image

Click insert (single driver) and browse to the folder where you extracted the files in the zip I mentioned earlier.
This will pop up.....

Posted Image

Leave it on textmode driver. Select your controller. Press OK then next.
When you get to the ISO screen, click make ISO, not next. Once it's done burn the ISO using ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/ .

#10 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

Might be a little easier to go into your bios (your computer might have a prompt such as press f2 OR del to enter Setup or BIOS) and change the hard drive access mode to IDE or COMPATIBILITY MODE. It is very debatable which mode you will get better performance from - but as for ease of install it is much harder to slipstream the right ACHI / RAID drivers (though slightly more rewarding in learning).

Edited by AngryRaisin, 06 February 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#11 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I appreciate the help.  I fixed the problem by installing win 7 which had the necessary drivers to run.  Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users