Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot failure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 J Moldy

J Moldy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Using a Dell Inspiron 1545. Having trouble getting other specs as the system is not running.

Computer was running slowly, attempted to use avast! and MBAM to search for viruses. Avast! found a few minor viruses and one major one. MBAM found nothing.

Computer worked slightly better, then this morning it was going nearly unusably slowly. Attempted to reboot to see if that would fix the problem, and it told me the boot sector wasn't loading properly and gave a 0xc00000f error. Restarted again and ran a BIOS diagnostic, gave a failure at the hard drive check, gave the error code 2000-0146. Upon searching this I came upon this page http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19269780.aspx and guessed that one of the viruses or the removal had somehow switched itfrom an ATA to an AHCI. Changed it to ATA. Attempted to reboot and got nothing, it got past the startup screen but then remained black.

Got the windows 7 install disk and attempted to run a repair. Windows install screen came up properly, clicking the repair button started loading but then ceased and failed to load.

Loaded up xPUD off of a disk, works normally.

How can I either attempt to retrieve my personal files or repair the hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Bump.

I really need help with this.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I would suggest going to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download their DOS diagnostic tool.  You will want one which will be a ISO file which when burned to a CD is a bootable disc.  To find out who the manufacturer is you probably will need to remove the hdd to find this information.  There is a panel in the lower left corner which once removed provides access to the hdd.  Before touching the hdd touch something metal close by to discharge any static electricity.  If you need more information on removing and reinstalling the hdd you can watch a video, Dell Inspiron RAM & Hard Disk Replacement / Upgrade - YouTube.

You can use Ubuntu to recover your data from the hdd.

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

Click on Write image file to disc.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Checked the hard drive, it's a Seagate 320 GB hdd. Looked up their website and found Sea Tools which actually installs onto Windows.  I do not know how to proceed from here.

What do I need to do after I have an Ubuntu disc?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

The DOS version would be better suited since you can't boot this comuter.  The DOS version download a ISO file which you burn to a CD, set the DVD/CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order, place the disc in the optical drive and reboot your computer.  You can download the DOS version from SeaTools for DOS | Seagate,

If you scroll down the page just past the "I Accept" there are instructions for using this tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Loaded up xPUD off of a disk, works normally.

Using xPUD and a USB flash drive to rescue any important files from the hard drive.

• Set the computer to boot from the CDROM first.
  • When xPud loads you will see a "Welcome to xPUD" screen.
  • Click "File" from left menu and under "File System" click the triangle next to "mnt" and find your system hard drive (hda or sda). Note - if you plug a Flash drive in you will see it there also (sbd1).
  • Win7/Vista - You can navigate to your "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," "<your user name>, "My Documents."  
  • Copy the folder/files you wish to save by right mouse clicking and "Save," then pasting them into the flash drive (same as windows).
  • To "Exit" xPUD, click "HOME" from left menu, "Power Off," and "Restart."

Regards,
Brooks

#7 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Well, my CD's are not being very conducive to burning at the moment (They all seem damaged or something.)

Does the HDD need to be in the bootup line to be viewed by xpud, because last I checked there was nothing under mnt.

Edit: Got the DOS version, put it in. Does not register as a bootable device.

Edited by J Moldy, 10 February 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Error code 2000-0146 usually means that the hard drive is failing.  If xPUD can't see your hard drive under Mnt, it's not reading the drive.    

I'm not sure why the SeaTools for DOS CD isn't seen as bootable. Are you sure that you followed dc3's instructions for using ImgBurn?

I would be curious to see if SeaTools recognizes the hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

There are files under mnt, sda1 and sda2. sda1 has Boot, System Volume Information, Temp folders, and the bootmgr and bootsect.bak files. sda2 is empty.

SeaTools does not boot up at all.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

There are files under mnt, sda1 and sda2. sda1 has Boot, System Volume Information, Temp folders, and the bootmgr and bootsect.bak files. sda2 is empty.

sda1 is your 100MB system reserved partition and sda2 is (was) your system partition (C: drive).  I am going to speak with someone more knowledgeable in these matters.  

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

We would like to check the SMART status of your hard drive.  This can be done by downloading an "iso" file and burning it to make a bootable CD.  A USB flash drive will also be helpful to save a file to.

Using a functioning computer, please go to the Parted Magic Website and click on the button.  Burn the downloaded pmagic_xxxx_xx_x.iso file to CD.

• How to burn an "Iso" image to a disk:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk."
  • Under "Source" click on the "folder icon" to the right and select the " pmagic_xxxx_xx_x.iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon    to start the burning process.

Make sure that the ailing computer is set to boot first from the CD\DVDROM drive, insert the Parted Magic CD, and re-start the computer.

• The CD should boot automatically, requiring no input from you.  Accept the default settings.
  • When the Desktop has loaded, it will look very much like a Windows Desktop.
  • The button in the left corner of the taskbar functions like the Windows Start button.

• Double click Disk Health (GSmartControl) on the Desktop.
  • All storage devices will be displayed. Double click on your system hard drive.
  • Click the Attributes tab, click the Save as button (note the file name), click root in the lower left column, then click Save.
    • The text file will be saved in the /root directory and can be found by using File Manager if need be.
  • Copy this file to your USB flash drive.
  • If you don't have a USB drive, but are on a wired connection, you probably already have an internet connection via Parted Magic.
    • If your computer uses wireless, you may be able to set it up by going to Start --> Networking --> Start Network.
  • Test your Internet connection by double clicking Firefox on the Desktop.  If you have an internet connection, then you can post the contents of the GSmartControl file directly by logging into Bleeping Computers (please follow the posting instruction found at the bottom):
  • To exit Parted Magic, click Start, Logout, and Restart computer.
  • Please copy the contents of the GSmartControl file and paste it into your next post.
    • Important: To keep the proper formatting and make it easier to read when adding the contents of the GSmartControl file, please click on the code sniplet (circled in red below)
    •  
    •   and paste (CTRL-V) the text between the code boxes: .

Regards,
Brooks

#12 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Apologies for not replying in a while, I had a bunch of classwork that came up.

I successfully managed to burn the cd of Parted Magic, and putting it in, it does start to load up properly. However, it seems to stop on loading /pmagic/initrd.img. It does not freeze, it simply never finishes. I am not sure if it is a disc error or if something could be stopping it from loading, or if it simply takes a half hour to load up and I have been too impatient.

Reattempted this. Ended with 3.453076 [<c13ab7b5>] ? rest_init +0x75/0x75

NOted it said Kernel Panic-NOt syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

Edited by J Moldy, 18 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

NOted it said Kernel Panic-NOt syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

I'm not sure where to go from here.  Maybe others will have suggestions.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Edit: Got the DOS version, put it in. Does not register as a bootable device.

Have you set the DVD/CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order in the BIOS?

#15 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yes, CD was the first on the boot list.

I also tried it with the hard drive booting up first and then hit enter when that bootup failed. It went to the CD and never really got off the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users