Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Boots With No Shell?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chowy

chowy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:21 AM

I'm trying to fix my friends Windows XP home edition PC. He is connected to the internet via broadband. I think he's on SP1 but I don't think he has been doing regular Windows Updates?

Everytime the PC boots it loads Windows XP but a message appears -

"Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"

When you go to more details I get the following -

Windows Explorer
Error Signature
Appname:Explorer.exe Appver:6.0.2800.1106 Modname:Kernel32.dll
Modver:5.1.2600.1106 Offset:0001B62F

When you close these messages you just end up with the users background but with no icons or taskbar so you cant do anything.

I can however get the Task Manager.

I have tried booting in safe mode and logging in with Administrator but the same thing happens.

Is it a virus?

Please can you help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:21 AM

Have you tried Last known good configuration from safe mode? Press F8 while booting to enter the Boot Menu.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

Is it a virus?

Could be, especially seeing how this machine has not been fully updated. After trying acklan's suggestion see if you can use system restore to a date as far back as possible. More info on this can be found HERE.

If you can get this computer to boot I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. By following these instructions you will use virus scanners, and if they find anything, thn you may want to post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide to insure you have cleaned this computer properly.

PREPARATION GUIDE

Of course you could just decide to scrub this computer and reinstall Windows. That would take care of this issue also. You should run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

If there is important data to recover first, you could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

Did I miss something - Didn't you say that you have no desktop ?!! If you have an XP install disk go to the Task Manager and go to "File > New Task (Run...)" and type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). Follow the instructions. This process could take an hour to complete.

Edited by pascor22234, 31 March 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#5 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:38 PM

Answer:
-The file kernel32.dll is most likely damaged by something.
Located in: c:\windows\system32

QUICK FIX:
-Replace the file with a back up:
1) Get a replacement file from any Windows XP CD
-you will have to rename it so Windows File Protection gets a little silly and tries to replace it.
-When you copy the new one in; dont be suprised if WFP puts one back.
(Renaming a file instead of deleting, is insurance)
Reboot test

Make a system restore point first, just in case. ;)
JU$T1N~1

#6 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Oh ya... you could probably get one from your computer if you have SP2 installed

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
(Dont copy another used)
JU$T1N~1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users