Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toicy4ya

toicy4ya

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Sup guys,

A week ago I installed Fios in my home. The installation went great. I was able to connect my iMac via Ethernet and my iPad, iPhone, iTouch and XBOX wirelessly using the Fios router without any problems. However, for some reason I cannot get my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop to connect through my wifi. I called Fios technical support yesterday and was on the line with them for nearly an hour. The agent was very patient trying to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem. He also got his Supervisor involved. Unfortunately, was unsuccessful in connecting my laptop to my wifi. Ultimately he determined because I was able to have my other peripheals connect to my wifi, the issue lies with the laptop. I have spent several hours on google trying to find some resolution but have been unsuccessful in doing so. My Dell Inspiron came equipped with a wifi link 5100 mini card and runs off of Windows XP 32b bit. It should also be noted that i did not have this problem when I had optimum online internet running of a DLink N Router previously.

Can anyone offer me some assistance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by toicy4ya, 04 February 2013 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

Is the wireless radio button turned on? When connecting to the new network, what error or messages does it post? Have you tried clearing the previous networks on the Wireless tab in the Minicard properties? Please post also the router model next time.
Download MiniToolBox and select all options.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

I cleared the previous network on the Wireless tab and it worked. I can't understand it, this was done several times before by myself and the verizon tech and it didn't work. I guess I'd recommend anyone who is having the same problem to clear the previous network several times if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Glad it worked. :clapping:

Tekken

#5 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

Sup Guys,

After resetting my verizon router, i am experiencing the same problem again.

I was able to connect my iMac via Ethernet and my iPad, iPhone, iTouch and XBOX wirelessly using the Fios router without any problems. However, for some reason I cannot get my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop to connect through my wifi. I previously called Fios technical support, however the agent was unable to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem. He determined because I was able to have my other peripheals connect to my wifi, the issue lies with the dell laptop. I have spent weeks on google trying to find a solution but have been unsuccessful.

My Dell Inspiron came equipped with a wifi link 5100 mini card and runs off of Windows XP 32b bit. It currently has the most current driver. It should also be noted that i did not have this problem when I had optimum online internet running of a DLink N Router previously.

Can anyone offer me some assistance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#6 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

I forgot to mention, I cleared the previous network on the Wireless tab several times however, this time it didn't work.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

Please try disabling your wifi security passkey settings and check the difference.

Tekken

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

I second what jhayz suggested. Sometimes WiFi routers will not play nice with certain WiFi card/adapters due to slight difference in how they implement the encryption modes (i.e. WEP, WPA, or WPA2).

Have you tried using the Ethernet connection on the Dell (I did not see that mentioned)? If it does not work, then that would suggest that it might be some more general networking issue with the Dell. My guess is that it will work, but it is still worth checking to rule it out.

Another thing to try would be disconnecting completely all the other WiFi devices and see if anything changes. Some routers can only handle so many WiFi devices at one time. I rather doubt this is the case here, but it is worth checking to again firmly eliminate the possibility.

Do you still have the D-Link router that you mentioned? Or was included with your previous service and thus had to return it? I ask because if you still have it, you could connected it to the FiOS modem/router and then see if you can connect to its WiFi network. The corollary question is have you taken the laptop to some other location (say a Wendy's or Starbuck's, etc) and tried connecting to some other WiFi network? If so, does it work? This could confirm whether it is a general WiFi issue or something specific to Verizon router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users