Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL-Good IP drops...Bad IP signs on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grtcrowd

grtcrowd

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

So here's a problem that I have incurred for the past 2-3 weeks. After having to have my DSL modem/router replaced by the provider for lack of connectivity, the company provided me one that will connect without any problem via ethernet. When I first connected my desktop by ethernet, and completed the setup, the desktop works fine. Then I attempted to connect my laptop. WRONG! Would only sign on using an IP address of 169.254.240.232, which is nothing like my actual IP address. After an hour of aggravation, and ultimately a phone call, changing the channel inside the modem worked and I was able to sign on.

To make the really long story short.....EVERY DAY I have to sign into the modem and physically change the channel settings for the wireless connection. I have gone from AUTO - 13 individually. The DSL provider insists that "that can't happen" and "it's your laptop". The problem is that my desktop is also wireless capable....it won't connect to wireless without the same routine! However, the laptop will connect without issue on the ethernet.

So, my question (before I call these people back and make an utter fool of myself)....this IS apparently a modem issue is it not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

That sounds like some thing wrong with the modem/router - in my experience companies hate to replace equipment and if it passes diagnostics on their end then that is kinda end of story. See if there is any kind of factory reset for the modem/router - and be as patient as you can calling and explaining the problem - worse come to worse buy your own modem router or switch providers.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

EVERY DAY I have to sign into the modem and physically change the channel settings for the wireless connection

There is a concern here that your laptop is not able to communicate with the router to be able to assign a valid IP address. Were you atleast within the same room when you try to connect? If yes, then it is as AngryRaisin has suspected. Sometimes its also better to check first the configurations and enabling automatic settings to check on the difference. What router and laptop model/operating system are they?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users