Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD cloning issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Greetings!

Im working on a client's laptop and the HDD is failing. I have a new HDD and need to clone the old to the new. i'm using Acronis 2013, have both the new and old laptop HDDs hooked up to my office machine via USB. I Start cloning and about 1/3 of the way the program freezes and says it will take 49,710 days to finish. I left it run over the weekend and nothing.

My guess the old HDD is crapping out beyond help. Anyhone have any suggestions???

One mroe thing, I was able to back up all the data via Autoback up 4 tech.

thank you!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

One idea for you - Cloning Windows 7 drive From answers.microsoft.com

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

if you don't care and just want to try something to get it done then run a chkdsk /r on all partitions of the drive. Taking mind that things can go very wrong from here. Half the time chkdsk will mark sectors as unreadable and then you can finish the clone ... The other half the time the chkdsk freezes on one sector and that is the end of that drive.

#4 cloudnyn3

cloudnyn3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Such a lengthy approach you're taking. If the Hard-Disk is failing then Acronis will not be able to probably process all information which is why the issue you're having now is occurring. When dealing with things like this I take my trusty Linux Distro and pop open the CD tray and insert a USB drive.

You can boot up a Linux distro and remove the laptop hard drive. Put it in a desktop and remove all of the relevant information and use a fresh install on a new HDD. If this information is extremely vital and VERY important, You can go as far as to remove the platters and insert in another HDD of the same origin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users