Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Doctor Results

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I got this computer from a neighbor. I had pity on them because they really need the money. Not sure what the history of this computer is but I know the woman has 4 small boys.

The HDD was trash. No program I used would recognize it at all, so I replaced it.

I tried to install KUbuntu from DVD, which failed. It would get to the point of loading the video driver and the screen would just flash for hours and hours. I could move the mouse around a black screen, and nothing more.

I then installed Windows 7 without a problem... but I don't much care for Windows so I tried to install Linux Mint, which also failed. I got to a blank white screen and just stayed there for several hours until I finally gave up and pulled the plug.

I've tried 4 different DVD-Drives, with same results. I installed new IDE ribbon cables with same results.

Right now, I'm about to turn it off...It's been on all night doing a 1 hour test in PC Doctor. It's stuck at 95% on the DVD test. I've been up for about an hour now and it's been on 95% since I got up...but that should not matter...

When I went to bed it was on about 83% and had been working for about 2 hours.

Computer is:

Compac Presario SR1000
All original except: HDD, Ram, and DVD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 supermaltese

supermaltese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

See the picture. I've run the CD/DVD test 3 times with the drive on channel 2, and 3 times on channel 1. I've done those tests on each of the 4 dvd drives I have.

Every test has stopped at exactly 73% on current test and 24% on overall tests.

Picture
http://sdrv.ms/Vz9M7U

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hmmm... could be the memory. That point of the test may always end up trying to use the same address in RAM and there is a problem with that address.

Have you tried the IDE cable for the optical drive in other ports on the motherboard like if it is in Primary Slave try it in Secondary Master?

I'm afraid that's all I can think of. It's a puzzler.

James

EDIT: Not sure if you mean the same thing as me when you say channel 1 and 2 where I say primary secondary. If you do, disregard that idea :)

Edited by James Litten, 04 February 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#4 supermaltese

supermaltese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yes, by Channel 1 I mean Primary IDE, and by Channel 2 I mean Seconday IDE. I don't know why I said Channel instead of Primary or Secondary. The RAM is new and passes all tests using PC Doctor, but after I saw your reply I tried different RAM with same results. I'm wondering if the inboard IDE controller is bad. I will have a PCI diagnostic card in a few days to run other tests. If it does turn out to be the inboard IDE controller then I will order a PCI IDE Controller.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Have you tried different software? I haven't used PC Doctor in well over ten years so I don't know much about its modern version. If it is a very old version it may not be suitable for DVD optical drives.

James

#6 supermaltese

supermaltese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I used the current version from HP.com, and another tool from a cd I have with a wide variety of tools... Which cannot be named here.

Edited by supermaltese, 04 February 2013 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users