Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Segate hard drive not recognizsed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zillah

zillah

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Dear Experts

My one year old laptop Asus after updating its ultimate windows 7 OS and restarting it , a blue death screen appeared,,,tried copule of restarting same error message.

Then tried : Safe Mode ,,,,,tried : last good configuration,,,,,,,,,,nothing work.

Removed the hard drive which is Segate 500 GB from Asus laptop and connected via USB cable to my desktop,,,the error message that was presented : You need to format the disk before using it.

Tried that on another laptop (Dell) same error message : You need to format the disk before using it.

External hard drive is not showing in the computer management means it is not recognized as an external storage therefore I won't be able to use any third party program to recover the files before formatting it

What should I do to recover the files and data from my Asus hard drive before formatting it ?

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

This thread is related more to the Windows 7 forum.

If the drive does not appear in Computer Management, how are you going format it if you reach that point of desperation?

When plugged into the Desktop, does the drive appear in Device Manager under USB? Any abnormal indications?

You should try repairing the boot files as described in this MS guide Use the Bootrec.exe tool or this one from Tom's Hardware (with pics). The latter has a more ordered description of steps to take. The drive would have to be back in the original case.

Edit: If partitions have been lost it may be necessary to run TestDisk. Although I have run it, I have never used it to restore a drive. I'm sure others in the forum have.

Edited by Nanobyte, 05 February 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Your BSOD should look similar to the picture below. We need the STOP: error code which you will see at the top of the page.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users