Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira Free & .txt files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hi,
Since my Avira Free A/V program updated itself the it keeps hanging/stopping on some .txt files. The first was a bog standard .txt file the after deleting the file it stopped on another .txt file and wouldn't budge. Unfortunately I cannot access the .txt file as it's in C:\RECYCLER\....\Dc14.txt and even though I've done a search and ticked for show hidden files I cannot get to it.

Any ideas.

Regards,

Dave

BTW I'm running XP Pro

Edited by Dave Clark, 04 February 2013 - 08:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've used Avira Free for a few years now and never encountered a situation as you describe.

There is no reason for Avira to become hung up on any file type or file.

http://techsalsa.com/what-is-recycler-folder-and-how-to-remove-it/

There is the possibility that malware files may be detected by Avira which cannot be handled...although I have never experienced such and would not expect this to be the case.

Louis

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have also used Avira for a few years without any problems but it has just started acting up since it updated itself.

So it is OK to delete the recycler folder and does it just renew itself when the recycle bin is emptied? I looked in the folder recycler after Avira stopped working and the folder appeared to be empty apart from an empty folder name "S-1-5-21-205211302-1409082233-725345543-1003" ?? Yet Avira had stopped while reading a text file named Dc14 but unfortunately because Avira does not give the full path I cannot be sure exactly where it was.
Windows has a recycler folder for each drive letter and the same folder is in them as detailed above. What also was strange with Avira was that it did the same with a text file that I had created which was in two different folders. When avira stopped on the first instance of the text file I moved it onto a USB drive but the next time Avira ran it stopped on the 2nd instance of the text file which I deleted but now it stopped on the Dc14 text file.

Strange

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Clark, 04 February 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Difference between Recycle Bin and Recycler
Recycle Bin stores the file that are deleted from the computer until it is emptied completely, whereas the Recycler folder contains a Recycle Bin for each user that logs on to the computer. (M/Soft article)
You can also try deleting all unwanted Temp Files with TFC cleaner -
Remove temporary and junk files
To clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.
Download TFC by OldTimer from HERE to your desktop.
Double-click TFC.exe to run it.
Note: If you are running on Vista / Windows7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users