Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can file sharing be turned off with Windows firewall disabled?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

I use a third party firewall (Comodo) so have Windows firewall disabled to avoid conflicts. I would like to turn off file sharing but can find no way of doing this without enabling Windows firewall. Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/126388-file-sharing-turn-off.html

Louis

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Louis. Pretty certain I had network location type set to public but noticed I hadn't. Anyway, OK now. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

:thumbup2: /

Louis

#5 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Unfortunately the problem is still there. Although I have public network selected which, according to your link, should automatically turn off file sharing, file sharing is shown as being on in network and sharing center. So, as I said in my first post, how do I turn off file sharing without enabling Windows firewall?

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I suppose you could drill down into the properties of a connection and uncheck file and printer sharing and supposedly this would be method of turning of file and printer sharing but this would be a very round about way of doing it - And it would not change that green bubble saying file sharing is on. A firewall's job is to deny/approve connections. By turning it off you are inherently making a computer more insecure - you are telling the machine to allow all connections. I have not done enough of my homework to tell you whether it is possible to turn of enough services to not let others connects to you.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 06 February 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I hear what you're saying about turning off firewalls, but it's not as if I'm not using one - the reason I switched to Comodo is because I was unhappy with Windows firewall. It seems crazy that Vista is incapable of turning file sharing off unless Windows firewall is enabled, especially when I'm using a superior firewall. Security Center warns about using multiple firewalls but functionality is clearly compromised if you're using a third party firewall unless Windows firewall is also enabled.

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Ah ... sorry I blew by your first post ... Comodo will be able to do the same thing but it will not be able to turn off that little green bubble in the sharing center. You just have to set rules in comodo appropriately and the file sharing is disabled (green bubble will still be on). I've only played with Norton, Symantec, and ZoneAlarm firewalls so I wouldn't be the best to answer specific questions on Comodo ... I'll play around with it and see if I can't get you a better answer. But I can most assuredly tell you that Norton does the same thing... file sharing looks like it is enabled but does not work until I set the rules/allow private networks.

#9 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users