Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrade to Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Activa

Activa

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hi

I have a HP MINI 110 Netbook, 1GB ram, Windows 7 starter, the netbook is struggling with windows 7, it's slow and takes ages to load things, I have tweaked the settings for performance and only have the bare essentials running, but it is still slow, The ram cannot be upgraded as 1GB ram is the limit for this netbook, have 4GB card for readyboost but doesn't seem to make much difference, am wondering if it would be worth downgrading to Windows XP? also this netbook for some reason fails to install Win 7 service pack 2, it fails at the configure stage, have tried every thing recommended by HP and the windows site so have disabled the updates.

Does anyone have experience in downgrading?

many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 3psilon

3psilon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Believe me, downgrading from 7 is one of the best things you can do, performance-wise. This laptop used to be Vista, but now its XP and has been a real miracle. What you should do is go out and get a retail Windows XP Pro copy and install, it's not very hard.

Optional:
If you want the windows 7 look on XP, look into Lee-Soft. That way, you'll be getting the Win7 functionality and still have tons of CPU and memory for many other things.

(there's a link in the description, to get the basic scheme started. Go to the YouTube video to get it.)

http://www.lee-soft.com/

P.S. You'll have to find the Win7 sounds and mouse scheme elsewhere, I would go into your Win7 WINDOWS folder and copying them to a flashdrive. Don't worry, the audio and mouse files will be compatible.

Edited by 3psilon, 04 February 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#3 Activa

Activa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for that, I though XP might be better than Windows 7 with only having 1GB ram - the other issue is the fact that the netbook does not have a DVD drive, haven't got a portable one either - any suggestions how to get XP on this netbook?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

You can't install XP over Windows 7, you can up grade, but can not downgrade. In order to install XP you will need to either format the hdd, or wipe it with a program which will completely overwrite the disc.

If you don't have an external optical drive, how did you install the starter program? Downloaded it?

Without an optical drive you will need to see if you can load this with a flash drive. In order to do this your BIOS must be able to be enabled as a boot drive and then set as the first device in the boot order. Because of the age of this machine this may not be an option. It may be worth purchasing a DVD drive, you can purchase DVD-RW for $30. at Newegg.

Once you have the operating system installed you will need to install an anti virus before going online. You will need to download the drivers. There are three Mini 110 computers, not knowing which you have I can't provide you with a specific download site. The three models I'm seeing are: HP Mini 110-3800 CTO PC, HP Mini 110-3830ca PC, HP Mini110-3830nr PC.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users