Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need an explanation.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I have 2 machines that both run Win 7 Home prem. 64bit. Both of the hard disk drives are letter C and both of the dvd/cd drives are letter D. When I boot from a new original Win 7 disk and use the repair computer option(bottom one on the list of options) it starts looking for disks with info or whatever. When they stop and list the options, one machine's only option is Local disk C and the other machine's only option is Local disk D. I will post screen caps if needed. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Windows 7 may be set up in several ways - if during the paritioning portion of the install you create your own partitions windows will install all it's files to that partition. If you erase all the partitions and select the 'empty space' and press install windows will create a boot partition (that is hidden from the user) and a windows partition which is visible. When you boot from a windows disc / recovery environment it will make the windows partition show up as D: even though when you get into the operating system it shows as C:

Edited by AngryRaisin, 04 February 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Even if the DVD Rw drive is D?

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

when you boot the windows disc and get into that recovery/install environment the DVD drive becomes e. If you want to 'see' that hidden partition then you can go to Computer Management - then storage - and disk management and on your drive you should see a 100mb partition named System Reserved. If you want to go even further you can assign a drive letter and look at the stuff in there (I Do Not Recommend This)... it is just the bootmgr and recovery.wim that may used to fix or test the computer.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 06 February 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#5 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess what confused me was that I did the same thing to two different machines and one showed C and one showed D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users