Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 hard drive partition Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 windshoppe

windshoppe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I have a new ZT Systems computer running Windows 8. The configuration of the hard drive as received is as follows:

Disk 0 c: 59G allocated; Recovery: 6G allocated
Disk 1 d: 2.75T allocated

My problem is the c drive is full, with only a few programs installed. I need considerable additional space in the c drive to accommodate programs such as Photoshop. I am unable to expand the c drive because of the Recovery partition adjacent to it, which can't be moved. I have downloaded a 3rd party partitioning software, which isn't able to do it either. It would appear to this novice that the only solution would be the deletion of the Recovery partition in order to expand the c drive to the adjacent space that would be created, and, hopefully, also to use space in the d drive of Disk 1, since I'll only gain 6G by deleting the Recovery partition.

ZT Systems tech support tells me that the c drive can't be expanded and that I should just install or move programs from the c drive to the d drive. He apparently doesn't know that programs such as Photoshop can't be installed in any location other than the root drive!

Is the deletion of the Recovery partition an option? What is the downside (other than not being able to use it for recovery)? Can and should I be able to expand the c drive beyond the space on Disk O into Disk 1?

Is there a better approach?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I would make your recovery discs if you system did not come with them then you can delete your recovery partition to gain some space. Deleting the recovery parition removes the ability of reinstalling the factory install of windows, drivers, and software using simple one key recovery options (like HPs you tap f11 during startup and it boots to factory recovery environment). I am making some assumptions that there are two physical drives in this machine - one solid state and one regular drive.

Please post a snapshot with Speccy as this will tell what is actually in your computer.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy < < Follow These Directions

If it is the case that there are two physical drives then you cannot easily expand the partition onto the second drive without something such as a raid setup and erasing everything anyway. When I had a 60GB solid state drive i had this problem as well.. I was using the Adobe CS4 suite and it may be installed to a second drive without any special consideration other than during the installation process specifying the d drive instead of the c.

I suppose you could clone the c drive onto the d drive giving you much more space but then you lose the benefits of a solid state drive (such as faster booting and program load times). It's all a matter of which direction you think is better for you.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 04 February 2013 - 01:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users