Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem When Opening Ms Outlook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 possum

possum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:06 AM

Hello,
To start at the beginning... my new computer that I received about a year ago came with McAfee pre-installed. Because I can use a student license to Nortons free of charge I proceeded to uninstall McAfee. After doing so, and everytime that I open Outlook I receive an error message that reads "The add-in "c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\outlook.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the help menu." I click OK and it goes away and Outlook opens fine. This problem is just an inconvenience and nuisance and I'd like to make it go away.

I have tried using detect and repair and it doesn't help.
I have tried uninstalling all of MS Office and reinstalling it and that doesn't help.
I have tried to go thru my System reinstall disks that came with the computer to see if I can find McAfee on them and I can't find it.

Not really sure what else to do other than reinstall the entire operating system. Which is not worth the hassle for this minor problem.

Computer Specs
Windows XP Home edition
Running Outlook 2003

Thanks for any help you can offer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

Hi possum.
In Outlook, go to Tools>Options.
Click the "Other" tab then click the "Advanced Options" button.
Click the "Add-In Manager" button. Deselect the offending add-in by removing the check mark and then OK your way out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users