Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer won't boot, help!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 The Ninja

The Ninja

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Mod Edit;  Merged 3 topics pertaining to same issues - Hamluis.

Today I was playing a video game that my computer can easily handle. I recently rebuilt it into a gaming computer with:

Processor: Phenom ii x4 965 BE
GPU: Radeon 7770
Corsair 650W
8gb Ram
BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s HDMI motherboard

I've been gaming perfectly fine for about 3 weeks. I was playing today and all of a sudden I got the BSOD. I tried to reboot and windows got stuck at "Starting Windows" then it reboots and gives me a "Windows failed to start" screen and gives me the option to repair or start windows normally.

I've tried:

1. Starting Windows Normally. The process above repeats itself

2. Attempting to use windows repair takes me to a black screen and nothing loads.

3. I've tried changing BIOS sata from ACHI to IDE, or Native IDE. Neither makes a difference.

4. I tried booting into "Safe Mode". This only gives me a BSOD.

Can anyone offer me and suggestions on how to fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2013 - 09:25 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hello,

Let's see if you can get the exact error message and possible driver involved in the crash.

• Please power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • Arrow down to Disable automatic restart on system failure and press <Enter>.
  • Posted Image
  • The computer will reboot.
  • The next time the computer "blue Screens" with an error, the screen will freeze allowing you to see the possible cause of the error.
  • Posted Image
  • Please write down the corresponding information as shown in the red boxes for your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 The Ninja

The Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I went to Directory Services Restore mode and got the BSOD code STOP: 0x00000050.

Besides that, whenever windows begins to start the blue screen flashes quickly before I can read anything. Then the system reboots. I did this after selecting "Do not restart on system crash."

A second ago my computer booted fully and I was able to log in windows. Then I restarted to double check and now it I'm back to the same problem.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Advanced Boot Options Menu by pressing <F8> at reboot. If you are able to boot to normal Windows, please attach any mindump files to your next post:

Navigate to the the Windows Minidump folder.
  • C:\Windows\Minidump <== this folder.
  • Note that the first 6 digits of each minidump file indicate the date ( 012313-10935-01.dmp).
  • Highlight the 10 most recent minidump files, then copy and paste them (don't drag) to another location (suggestion: Desktop).
  • Highlight all of the minidump files on the Desktop, right mouse click, and select Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder.
    • A Compressed (zipped) folder will now appear on the Desktop.
  • When you click Add Reply for your next post, you will have the option to attach the compressed folder (see bottom, left).
  • Please attach the Compressed (zipped) folder to your next post by browsing to the location of the zipped Minidump folder.
    Posted Image
    • Note: The Bleeping Computer Forum has a 512K upload limit on file size.
    • See how to Manage Your Attachments to delete old attachments.

You may have memory (RAM) issues. We can look into testing memory next.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 The Ninja

The Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm afraid Last Know Good Configuration only takes me to a black screen, then the comp reboots.

I have also tried reseating RAM, and booting with one RAM stick. The problem continued.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

Do you have the Windows 7 Installation DVD?

Regards,
Brooks

#7 The Ninja

The Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

Do you have the Windows 7 Installation DVD?

I do not have a Windows 7 Installation CD because it came pre installed of the computer.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hello,

1.) If you have important files on the non-booting computer that you would like to backup, follow the steps below to create a bootable Linux Rescue CD before attempting Step #2: (Recommended)
  • Please read how to use Puppy Linux to Recover Windows 7 Files. This tutorial was made with an older version of Puppy Linux but the newer version is very similar.
  • Once on the official Puppy Linux site, arrow down to Precise Puppy 5.4.3 and download the iso file (166 MB).
  • Burn the iso file to CD so that it is bootable. (need help - see Free ISO Burner)
  • You will have to set your computer to boot first from the CD\DVDROM drive via BIOS setup.

2.) Let's attempt a Recovery Environment Check Disk:
  • Please power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • Select Repair Your Computer and press <Enter>.
  • Select keyboard/language, then press Next.
  • Select your User account.
    • Note: Administrator may show by default.
    • Use the down arrow to find your logon account and enter your password, if any.
  • Click OK and you will see the System Recovery Options Menu.
    • Please note that under Choose a recovery tool it will show the drive letter of your operating system.
    • Posted Image
    • Your operating system drive may NOT be C:. If it is NOT, then substitute the correct letter in the command that follows.
  • Next, click on Command Prompt.
  • At the X:\Windows\System32>, type: chkdsk C: /R then press <Enter>.
    • Please substitute the "Local Disk" letter above, if different then C:, in the command to follow.
    • (Note the space after chkdsk and after the value for C: )
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, could take several hours to complete, and may at times appear to freeze. Check Disk should NOT be interrupted.
  • When finished, a summary will be presented.
    • If errors were found and corrected, please run the chkdsk C: /R command once more.
    • Otherwise, type: exit to leave the DOS box.
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Reason for edit: To remove information not applicable for its intended use.

Edited by dc3, 06 February 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

If you have a friend with the same version of Windows 7 eg, W7 Home Premium 64-bit, you can use their computer to create a boot CD for MSDaRT 6.5. With this you will be able to access the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, specifically the Check and repair system files. This will make it possible to run sfc /scannow (System File Checker) which will replace damaged or corrupted Microsoft files.

umm generally a user will not have access to MSDaRT unless they are a technet member or higher (If I am wrong please correct me). Maybe you meant an offline sfc scan which can be done from a system repair disc or windows 7 install disc ?

Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) is a portfolio of technologies available as a subscription for Software Assurance customers

otherwise pcworld has links to legimate downloads of win 7 install discs

Edited by AngryRaisin, 06 February 2013 - 02:20 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

umm generally a user will not have access to MSDaRT unless they are a technet member or higher (If I am wrong please correct me).
Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) is a portfolio of technologies available as a subscription for Software Assurance customers

It does appear to be the case. The quotation below refers to the Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset 6.5 (MSDaRT).

If you are a Microsoft Partner or Volume License customer, you should have access to download this through your MSDN Subscription Downloads.

It is strange that there is no mention of the need to be a Microsoft Partner or have a Volume License at either of the websites I provided links. Without these you can't access the ERD Commander Boot Media Wizard.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.:thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 The Ninja

The Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hello,

1.) If you have important files on the non-booting computer that you would like to backup, follow the steps below to create a bootable Linux Rescue CD before attempting Step #2: (Recommended)

• Please read how to use Puppy Linux to Recover Windows 7 Files. This tutorial was made with an older version of Puppy Linux but the newer version is very similar.
  • Once on the official Puppy Linux site, arrow down to Precise Puppy 5.4.3 and download the iso file (166 MB).
  • Burn the iso file to CD so that it is bootable. (need help - see Free ISO Burner)
  • You will have to set your computer to boot first from the CD\DVDROM drive via BIOS setup.

2.) Let's attempt a Recovery Environment Check Disk:
  • Select Repair Your Computer and press <Enter>.
  • Select keyboard/language, then press Next.
  • Select your User account.
    • Note: Administrator may show by default.
    • Use the down arrow to find your logon account and enter your password, if any.
  • Click OK and you will see the System Recovery Options Menu.
    • Please note that under Choose a recovery tool it will show the drive letter of your operating system.
    • Posted Image
    • Your operating system drive may NOT be C:. If it is NOT, then substitute the correct letter in the command that follows.
  • Next, click on Command Prompt.
  • At the X:\Windows\System32>, type: chkdsk C: /R then press <Enter>.
    • Please substitute the "Local Disk" letter above, if different then C:, in the command to follow.
    • (Note the space after chkdsk and after the value for C: )
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, could take several hours to complete, and may at times appear to freeze. Check Disk should NOT be interrupted.
  • When finished, a summary will be presented.
    • If errors were found and corrected, please run the chkdsk C: /R command once more.
    • Otherwise, type: exit to leave the DOS box.
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.

I can't access the "Repair Your Computer" option. Whenever I select it, my screen goes black and stays there, or my screen goes black and my computer restarts.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Do you have any important files (pics, docs, video, etc) that needs to be backed up? If so, give the Puppy Linux CD a try.

If you can boot the Linux CD, after rescuing your files, navigate to the Windows minidump folder.
  • Please copy any ".dmp" files to a USB flash drive, zip them up, and attach in a new post.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 The Ninja

The Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

If you have a friend with the same version of Windows 7 eg, W7 Home Premium 64-bit, you can use their computer to create a boot CD for MSDaRT 6.5. With this you will be able to access the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, specifically the Check and repair system files. This will make it possible to run sfc /scannow (System File Checker) which will replace damaged or corrupted Microsoft files.

umm generally a user will not have access to MSDaRT unless they are a technet member or higher (If I am wrong please correct me). Maybe you meant an offline sfc scan which can be done from a system repair disc or windows 7 install disc ?

This is very confusing. I cannot access the ERD Commander... The only place to download MADaRT 6.5 is Piratebay. I don't want to use that site.

Do you have any important files (pics, docs, video, etc) that needs to be backed up? If so, give the Puppy Linux CD a try.

If you can boot the Linux CD, after rescuing your files, navigate to the Windows minidump folder.

• Please copy any ".dmp" files to a USB flash drive, zip them up, and attach in a new post.

At this point I really just want to be able to use my computer. I can redone load everything on it. When I replaced the motherboard I didn't reinstall windows. Could this be the problem?

#15 The Ninja

The Ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

I have tried to use a Win 7 recovery disk to boot from and run repair tools. I can't boot it, all that happens is it says "Windows is loading files" then it black screens and a bunch of H's appear running down the left side of my screen. They stay there until I reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users