Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3FO Error Compaq Presario CQ61- Hard Drive is not Faulty

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 amberanm

amberanm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi and thank you in advance to anyone to responds to my problem.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61 - I purchased it used and on second attempt to use the machine, turned on the power and got the following message on a black screen -

Boot Device Not Found
Please Install an Operating System on Your Hard Disk
Hard Disk (3FO)
F2 System Diagnostics

When I hit F2 for diagonostics - states
Hard Disk Does Not Exist

When I do a hard drive test it fails and states "Hard Disk Not Exist"

This are the steps that I have taken to try to resolve the issue to no avail-
Hard Reset - Removed battery and power cord and held down power button - All lights that are supposed to come on do and the fan kicks on. When replace battery and power - turn it on, the same message appears.
I have reset the bios to factory settings
Tried re-installing an operating system I have tried both Windows 7 and XP - when it gets to the point that it needs to access the hard drive or files on the hard drive - get an error that there is no hard drive to write to or access- this is with both Operating Systems
I replaced the hard drive with a brand-new one, right out of the box - Comes up with the same 3FO error, I even ignored it and tried once again to install an operating system - again to no avial

This is where I am at now - I have exhausted all I know to do to fix this problem and the HP forums are no help. Those all indicate that it is a faulty hard drive and to replace the hard drive - Well, I have done that and it did not correct the problem. The only other suggestions it offers is how to pull the info from the existing hard drive. I have no need for that, there are no files on it belonging to me. All I need is to get the dang thing to work. I am out of ideas...

Any help is greatly appreciated. And to recap, I have no fucntionality at this time, the only thing I can do is access the bios and system diagnostics and error log. There is no option for factory restore and it will not boot in safe mode. Any attempt to use any function key other than pressing escape to enter bios (such as F8 or F12) only brings back up the initial screen with the error message and option to do the F2 for diagnostics.

Thanks again for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Sounds like your hard drive failed, and needs replaced.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 amberanm

amberanm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I posted in my description, I already replaced the hard drive with a brand-new one, right out the box. It did not fix the problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

FWIW: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/HP-3F0-ERROR-help/td-p/307848

Louis

#5 amberanm

amberanm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have been to that forum link several times and done everything that was suggested and the last reply on the forum link where someone got the problem fixed is only in relation to an upgrade to windows 8, so the links to repair it are of no use to me. I have reseated the hard drive, did the hard reset, tried installing an operating system, replaced the harddrive, there are no other suggestions.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

the hard drive controller inside the laptop, could be bad as well. If its not recognizing the hard drive at all, I would guess that its either a bad hard drive, bad cable, or bad controller, being that its a laptop it eliminates the cable being an issue. Its possible its the OS, that the OS your loading doesnt recognize it-however, seeing that the laptop was designed for windows 7, I would lean towards faulty hardware. Is it still under warranty? I realize you bought it used, but if its still in its warranty period, it may have transfered over.

Edited by the_patriot11, 03 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 amberanm

amberanm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

It is not the HDD- I tried installing a HDD out of my cq60 with Windows 7 on it, it does not recognize it. I tried using the OEM back up discs I created right when I got it and no dice. Like I said, I also tried XP. Each time in trying to install the OS when it reaches the point of detecting the HDD, it states there is not one. I went and bought a brand new HDD and same thing. So it is not the drive itself or OS. It very well may br the controller or the heat sink, but I am very limited in my knowledge of anything board or circuit wise having to deal with a laptop. I am familiar with desktops and programs, but not laptops. I was hoping since this seems to be such a common thing with the HP and Compaq that someone else had this issue and was able to resolve it. No forums have a resolution dealing with one in which the hard drive is not bad. And no, it is 7 months out of warranty and HP support is no help. They want more than it is worth to even send it in.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I didnt say it was the hard drive, I said its likely the HD controller, which is located on the motherboard, and theres not much you can do about it short of replacing the entire motherboard, if that is the case.

picard5.jpg

#9 amberanm

amberanm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

My last thought other than the board is the sata controller- but being a lovely HP latpop, in the BIOS there is no advanced option and no option to enable or disable the sata controller. Without having an running OS, I have no way of finding it... There is also an additional update for the BIOS that was released on the 2nd, just two days ago, but once again, being an HP you can only do a bios update or flash with an OS... I guess I can do the lovely standby and make an external hard bootable and put an OS on it and just use it that way, but I was saving that for worse case scenario. The cost of getting a new board and the hassle of installing, I might as well just buy a new laptop. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

#10 pkorare

pkorare

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Try this;

> Ctrl+Alt+Del

> ESC to enter Start Up Menu

> F9 for Boot Device Options

> Select 'Notebook Hard Drive' and ENTER

Probably mainboard - I got 3fo and heaps of dead keys on keyboard after spilling a drink on the laptop.

External keyboard ftw...

#11 r@

r@

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

actually, in response to the_patriot11, it actually could be the hard drive cable, some laptops arent direct mount and require a separate cable, compaq is known for doing this often. In my experience dismantling laptops it is a high chance its the cable, either way it would be a safe bet to try a new one. hopefully my advice helps =3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users