Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes sent me, possible infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rocks911

rocks911

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have a W7 64 bit machine.

I have Microsoft security essentials (MSE), and Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes always running. I have had them working together without any problems or conflicts for at least a couple of years, so its worked quite well for me.

However, recently I started to see strange behaviors. My security software (all 3 mentioned above) would go off-line, which is to say that the programs were not providing real time protection. MSE is great at providing you notice of this because the icon in the tray turns red, unfortunately Malwarebytes does not have such a visual indicator and it wasnt until I entered the program that I noticed that real time protection was turned off. Superantispyware just today popped up a message indicating that I needed to purchase a license (I've had pro installed on my PC for years)so I was left wondering what was going on.

I accessed my Malwarebytes program and within that program is a link to an advanced anti-rootkit solution. I clicked on the link and was brought to the website, I DL'd the program (mbar.exe) and attempted to run it, it would not run, I got a pop-up message "mbar.exe - Entry Point Not Found...the procedure entry point ?minimumSizeHint@QCheckBox@@UBE?AVQSize@@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library QtGui4.dll"

I posted this in Malwarebytes and got a reply from an administrator there that I was probably infected and he sent me here.

Thats where I'm at.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I posted this in Malwarebytes and got a reply from an administrator there that I was probably infected and he sent me here.

Hello -
If the Admin was AdvancedSetup, I doubt that he would ever send you here, unless you refused their help.
Malwarebytes has its own Malware Removal area, and they would have posted a link, and directions to their own area, rather than send you here.

Can you please post a link to where they asked you to visit BleepingComputer, rather than asked you to visit their own area first
Just Right Click on the Post Number like I have just done to your first post and then please post it back here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic483996.html/page__view__findpost__p__2966164 < < Your post here -

Thank You -
EDIT - Your screen name @ Malwarebytes turned up this result ??
No results found for 'rocks911'.

Edited by noknojon, 03 February 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#3 rocks911

rocks911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hello -
If the Admin was AdvancedSetup, I doubt that he would ever send you here, unless you refused their help.
Malwarebytes has its own Malware Removal area, and they would have posted a link, and directions to their own area, rather than send you here.

Can you please post a link to where they asked you to visit BleepingComputer, rather than asked you to visit their own area first
Just Right Click on the Post Number like I have just done to your first post and then please post it back here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=121762&hl=&fromsearch=1
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic483996.html/page__view__findpost__p__2966164 < < Your post here -

Thank You -
EDIT - Your screen name @ Malwarebytes turned up this result ??
No results found for 'rocks911'.

But to be sure it doesnt direct me to you, I think I got my sites confused. I was wondering why they would send me here after a problem with their program. Maybe I dreamed that.

My problem is that I think I might be infected, their program failing me I think might be an indication of infection. Would I be better served to go back to them, or should I stay here? Is there a recognized hierarchy to help sites?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hi -
Personally only - If you think it was their tool that is causing you the problem, I think that you should let them have first try at fixing it.
You can post in the forum area that I have linked below, and the Admins or advisors there would like to find the problem for you
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41 This is the General Area where you post your problem and get advice on how to handle it

They can direct you on the best way to have this reviewed -

Thank You -
EDIT - AdvancedSetup had already asked you to follow the advice below for help with your problem -
#6 AdvancedSetup Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

I would recommend that you follow the advice from here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and let one of the Experts help you work on cleaning the computer.

Please do follow his advice -

Edited by noknojon, 03 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users