Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems for ACER external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 misa12

misa12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hey James,

So, I have already copied out all the important files. Though, I thought it is a little tedious to go buy a new one right away if I can just re-format my external hard drive and just use it again. The thing is, I do want to avoid it happen again if it is due to a physical damage. Do you know if there is a way to check if it is still good to use?

Here are the physical exam run that I did:
fdisk run result:

Posted Image

Disk health:

1. short self-test: Fail
2. attribute tab:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by misa12, 03 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 misa12

misa12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I don't know if this will help so far. Please let me know what you think!

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi

You've done an excellent job. I'm happy to hear that you got your files.

From what I see, there are a lot of "soft" bad sectors (attribute #197) but combined with the other attribute values, it is not what I would expect to see on a 'bad' drive. It might be okay depending on what caused those 'soft bad' sectors.

I'd like to see a picture of the ERROR LOG tab. Then I can probably tell you a way to format it that will either fix those 'soft bad' sectors or turn them into 'hard bad' ones that will make the drive eligible for replacement under warranty.

James

#4 misa12

misa12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

i accidentally deleted the error tab info :( do you think i should just re-run the test to get the info?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

No, you don't need to run the test again.

You can boot into PartedMagic, open the DISK HEALTH icon again and select your drive. All the data will still be there. The data that you see in those reports is actually stored inside the hard drive. They are amazing devices :)

If you prefer, you may be able to do the same thing from Windows now instead of PartedMagic. That way, you can post the whole report in your reply and I can learn a lot more about the hard drive.

In Windows with the bad drive connected to the computer...

Get a copy of GSmartControl for Windows
http://prdownload.berlios.de/gsmartcontrol/gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip?download
Unzip it and run gsmartcontrol.exe

Double-click your drive and click the VIEW OUTPUT button and copy and paste the resulting report in your reply so we can look at it.

Let me know if you have any questions/problems. Sometimes this does not work in Windows.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users