Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows media center problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zrkhan

zrkhan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi.. i m having a problem with media center so plz help.. When im watching live tv on WMC (and NOT recording anything) my hard disk free space start decreasing and decreasing until i change the channel or restart wmc. When i do this (change channel)the disk space is regained that means it is emptied again . Plz tell me how to solve this and this problem is present in both Windows 8 pro with mc and Win 7.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2013 - 03:27 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Audio & Video - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rsubasic

rsubasic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

WMC records live TV automagically! This is on purpose so that you can pause and rewind live TV. The recording gets reset each time you change channels, so your disk space comes back each time you change the channel but builds back up as you watch one live program. Bottom line is that this is not a bug but a feature (spoken like a programmer). I do not know of a way to cause WMC not to allow for pause/rewind of live TV, thus not to take up your disk space. Sorry and best luck.

Edited by rsubasic, 06 February 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#3 zrkhan

zrkhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Ok thanx.

#4 zrkhan

zrkhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well here is another problem now. I have changed the location of live TV buffer to a 500gb WD external hard drive. It has more than 450 GB of free space. But somehow that buffer location changes back to the default C:\ drive after some time. I changed it again then again it resets back. The commands I used were "mklink /d TempRec <new path>" (replace <new path> with the path you want to use for the live TV buffer).  So to create change the buffer location to E:\Buffer\, type mklink /d TempRec E:\Buffer\.

Please help me with this.

#5 zrkhan

zrkhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

look like its solved

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Thank You for reporting that the problem is solved.

If I can impose on You, what was the final solution?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 zrkhan

zrkhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thank You for reporting that the problem is solved.

If I can impose on You, what was the final solution?

Roger

well I had to first delete the Temprec folder located in C:\ ... and change the buffer loation to my external drive. And I also forgot to unlock my WD drive first before being use by media center. 

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Ah ha, Thanks

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users