Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Hangs On Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flekkegirl

flekkegirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

Hello everyone

When I attempt to to shutdown or logoff on Windows XP Home (SP2), explorer hangs and a prompt appears that says, "Explorer.exe not responding" or something to that efect. The only options with the prompt are a Cancel or an End Now Button. When I click the End Now button, my laptop then shuts down alright.

I'd like to get rid of this problem, so that Windows can shutdown normally without any interference. I've checked out the event viewer, and the only major error that I can find is a error that says "the HP pci service failed to start due to the following error: the system cannot find the path specified". Is that the problem?

My laptop is running Windows XP Home with SP2, with all the latest patches and security updates installed automatically. For security, I'm using ZoneAlarm, eTrust Antivirus, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, CWShredder, Hijack This, and Windows Defender. I use Firefox as my browser, and I also use CCleaner and EasyCleaner to clean cookies and other general cleanup. And I have Mike Lin's Startup Monitor and Control Panel to regulate programs that want to start up with my system. (it might be a bit overkill, but I've only just started using PCs after years of using MACs, so I'm a little bit paranoid about PC security). The point is that I don't think I have a virus, so is it that all these programs are conflicting with each other and causing Windows Explorer to hang on shutdown?

Is there anything that can be done to stop the Explorer.exe 'not responding' messages on shutdown without doing something too drastic to the computer? Thank you all; I appreciate the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:58 AM

Possible one of the program is not shutting down properly, so just try to clear all the items from the startup list
start->run type msconfig and hit enter. Click on the startup tab in system configuration utility window.
uncheck all the items other than antivirus and firewal. click ok and restart the system..

#3 flekkegirl

flekkegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

I'll try it when I get home. Should I shut down each of the startup items in msconfig one by one, (except for the antivirus and firewall) and restart after each selection, or should I just deselect them all and do one giant restart? Thanks

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Use Startup Inspector to disable startup aps instead of msconfig as it identifies what you are disabling from the startup menu.
http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Do not disable your firewall, av ap or anti-malware aps if you are connected to the internet and if you do disable any of those make sure they are enabled before you connect to the internet.

It is doubtful that those aps are causing conflicts with each other except if the Etrust ap you have is not just an av ap but a bundle.

The HP Pci error may be related to a pci video card, network adapter, or other HP device.

Check in the device manager for any device with a red or yellow warning mark. If you find any, update their drivers but if that isn't successful delete them and reboot, allowing Windows to find and reinstall them.

Symantic and McAffee both reported a worm that modified explore.exe.
Update and run Spybot and Adaware from safe mode and allow them to fix what they find.

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance to determine if you have a malware problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum, here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions run a log, and post it in following HJT forum,
at this link. Include a brief description of your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and the problem you are experiencing.)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not as yet attempt to fix anything by yourself using Hijack This as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your op system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users