Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed HDD - Need Help With Partitions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Espozito

Espozito

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

I am trying to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 1525 (w/Vista Home Basic) so I recently swapped out the original Hitachi 120GB with a new WD Blue 320GB HDD. However, it looks like my partitions are not set up correctly and I was wondering if anyone can recommend an ideal way for me to set these. The screen shot below shows my current volumes:

Posted Image

I'm also not sure why I have the 39MB (EISA configured) volume or the MEDIADIRECT 2.5GB volume.

Edited by Espozito, 03 February 2013 - 03:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

That is pretty much the way your system should be set up if you ghosted/copied your original hard drive to your new one.

That vintage of Dell has "Media Direct", which allows your system to start up without booting the entire OS when you insert a DVD or equivilent. Ran across it on a lot of Dells, mainly lappys.

The "EISA Configuration" is a diagnostic partition/utility, normal for Dells. I think you can boot directly to that from the post screen to run diagnostics on the system.

Your hard drive is set up correctly. If you want to change it around, you can delete the "D" and "F" drives to recover the space.
Just my preference, but I run a C: with OS and programs, D: data, and E: Recovery (ghosted C:), and remaining drive letter for optical drive. If something screws up, I can do a clean restore of the C: drive without disturbing my data on D:. Thats just me though.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users