Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Formatted External Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 everyone82

everyone82

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

A little while back I was re-installing windows xp, and accidentally checked to defragment my external drive. I wanted to know if there were any programs I could try that might be able to recover some of the files. Lot fo video edits, and design files I'd like to try and get back. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everyone82

everyone82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

I apologize. I meant to say formatted.

Mod Edit: Corrected topic title - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Find and Mount ... Recuva ... Easeus products

#4 everyone82

everyone82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

These programs look good but my computer wont recognize my hard drive. When I plug it in it beeps liek its connected liek things normally do on xp. But it wont show up under my computer. First time I plugged in it in a long time it went through the found new hardware procedure and said ready to use, but still didn't show up. It's connected now and the light is lit up green but nothing.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

while drive is connected go to ... start --> my computer --> right click --> manage --> click on disk management. Is drive shown there, maybe as "Unallocated Space" . If so, those programs will find the drive and possibly the data.

#6 everyone82

everyone82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Yes, under manage, i do see a drive saying Unallocated Space.  I will try.  Thank you.

#7 everyone82

everyone82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Trying reciva first, but I dont think it can find the drive.  Clicked search removable drives and it didn't find anythything.  Trying the full scan to see what comes up.

#8 everyone82

everyone82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Ok used find and mount, got into the drive.  Now everything that popped up was recovered?  or do I now have to use the newly mounted drive, and use another program?  Seems liek a lot was there.  Thanks again.

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Find and mount has given you access to the files on the drive. You will now have to copy them to a safe location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users