Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To setup wired/wireless LAN without Internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigLou99

BigLou99

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

I want to setup a small LAN WITHOUT Internet access using a Linksys WRT160N wireless router.
The LAN will consist of a laptop running Vista (or XP) connected by ethernet cable to a port on the WRT160N, there will be from 1 to 6 tablet computers (Android OS) connecting wireless to the router. I plan to load Apache Tomcat web server on the laptop and I want to acess web pages on the web server from the tablets. This will be strictly an internal application - no internet access. Any help on how to configure this?
TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

connect the laptop to one of the switch ports (the gray ports) and allow the wireless clients to connect. You will be on the same network. Its the same setup as you would do if you were connecting to the internet, only there wont be a connection on the Wan port.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 BigLou99

BigLou99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Chad- Many thanks for the fast reply. Would I need to set the laptop with a static IP address so when the tablets wanted to hit the webserver, the IP of laptop would be entered into the browser address? In this case, I would not want the router to give out an IP to the laptop (DHCP) but it should assign IPs to the tablets - Correct? How would that be configured in the router?
Thanks.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yes you would set the laptop static. When your assigning the ip addresses in the router for DHCP set it to start at 192.168.1.3 and set your laptop to 192.168.1.2. This will give the router the IP of 192.168.1.1 (the default address) and it won't assign the 192.168.1.2 the address of your laptop.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users