Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debugging shows BSOD "probably caused by Ntfs.sys, ntkrnlmp.exe, win32k.sys."

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnthacker83

johnthacker83

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have been trying to fix a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional workstation in a domain environment. Basic system info listed below:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: OptiPlex 580
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/19/12 14:12:07 Ver: 0.07 A07
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X2 B55 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Display: ATI Radeon HD 4200
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3836MB RAM
Page File: 1613MB used, 6058MB available
Network Cards: 3 Installed
[01]: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
[02]: Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
[03]: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

This PC is two years old and essentially started to crash out of the box. I put up with it for about a year-and-a-half because the crashes were somewhat infrequent, maybe occurring every two to three weeks. About three months ago I had become fed up with the crashes and purchased a software support contract with Dell. Although I had performed multiple diagnostic tests on my own to search for hardware failure (I have never found any issues), they made me rerun those same tests to prove to them there were no hardware issues. After the diagnostics came back clean, they told me I would have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows (which came as an OEM install). The good folks at Dell assured me this was the only fix, and while I did not really agree with them, I complied with their suggestion. Unfortunately, performing a wipe and load did not fix the problem.

The PC in question continues to experience the occasional BSOD. It was suggested to me that perhaps I should update the video driver on the PC. So, a few weeks ago I used a program called Driver Fusion from Treexy to remove all AMD components that I could. I then downloaded a more recent version of the ATI Radeon HD 4200 display driver, v 8.970.100.3000, released 07/2012 (my previous version was v 8.850.0.0, released 04/2011). Despite updating the driver, the PC has crashed 3 or 4 times since. So although it was probably a good idea to update the video driver, this alone was not enough to fix the issue.

Trying to rule out a faulty memory, or a bad DIMM slot, I ran memtest86+ for about 16 hours last weekend, checking each individual memory stick in each slot for 8+ passes. No errors were found.

When I run bugchecks on the Dump Files, the results typically state that the crashes were probably caused by Ntfs.sys, ntkrnlmp.exe, and win32k.sys. Trying to isolate a bad driver, I ran Driver Verifier continuously for four days, trying to apply stress to the third party drivers. However, I could not crash the PC while doing this, so I have yet to isolate a potential bad driver.

Basically, I havenít been able to verify if this is a hardware issue, a driver issue, or something altogether different. What exactly could be causing this? I have attached a zip containing the dump files. I have just about had it with this PC, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Have you run a hard drive test yet - I would run a chkdsk /r - and then a hard drive diagnostic - possibly the hard drive manufacture diagnostic and not the the dell one.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 02 February 2013 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users