Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help: Admin's account no longer visible for log-in

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Superman

Zombie Superman

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm not sure what happened, but this is a new one for me.

I was using my mother's laptop and decided to create a new user account for myself. I thought this would be a way of avoiding her complaints and worries of me "messing something up" on her account, i.e., trying to improve her usage of the computer. That's a story for another day.

After logging out of my account, I went to log back into hers and found the icon for my account and a blank "other user" icon. I attempted to enter her username (she had no password, at least not that she recalls) but the account pic that shows up in User Accounts doesn't show up and I was unable to log back into her account.

I've tried changing my account status and hers, but nothing works.

Thanks for any help you can give!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Press Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Backup the key by exporting to your PC

Now expand the key and if you find a subkey called .DEFAULT -Delete it

Restart the PC and let me know if that fixed the other user issue.

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Generally I would open my computer and look in your c drive for c:\users\ to find the actual name of the account ... it probably isn't what you think it is and may be something like 'owner' or 'user'. Also if this a work computer and associated with a domain then you may have more to type in... but I need more information if that is the case.

#4 Zombie Superman

Zombie Superman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Press Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Backup the key by exporting to your PC

Now expand the key and if you find a subkey called .DEFAULT -Delete it

Restart the PC and let me know if that fixed the other user issue.

Generally I would open my computer and look in your c drive for c:\users\ to find the actual name of the account ... it probably isn't what you think it is and may be something like 'owner' or 'user'. Also if this a work computer and associated with a domain then you may have more to type in... but I need more information if that is the case.

Thanks to both of you for responding. 'AngryRaisin,' I tried your suggestion first and that did the trick. The account was set up by the guy who my mother bought the computer from, and he misspelled her name. Once I found the correct name, I was able to access her account and delete mine. Problem solved.

Thanks again to both of you for the prompt responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users