Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine powers down unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hmcbass

hmcbass

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Machine Specs:
HP m8000n
Windows Visa Home Premium 32-bit

Issue: Customer attempted to install Windows 8 and completely borked his machine. Simply wants Windows Vista reinstalled. Now the machine powers down after a few minutes of being on. It's not restarting or going into sleep mode. It shuts all the way down as if the plug was pulled from it. When I hit the power button, I get the BIOS splash screen.

What I did:

1. Backed up data to external USB hard drive.

2. Created image of borked Windows install.

3. Formatted hard drive and installed Windows Vista from HP restore discs.

4. Downloaded and installed SP1, SP2 and IE9.

5. Went to download Live Essentials 2011 and machine mysteriously powered off without warning.

6. Checked fans, blew them out anyway. Checked other heatsinks, all clean.

7. Ran chkdsk /f /r (twice).

8. Removed optional components, swapped RAM for known working good RAM. Down to one stick of RAM, motherboard, hard drive, PSU.

Here the issue persisted. Every 5-10 minutes of being in Windows Vista, in Normal Mode or Safe Mode it would simply cut off. This should rule out video driver issues. I loaded MSCONFIG and used selective startup. Again, NOTHING is installed. No Antivirus, no media editing software, no games....nothing.

9. Moved to "clean" power outlet (one without other things plugged in. I even turned the heat off in the house; brownout?).

10. Noticed several swollen capacitors on the motherboard. (Hmmmm....)

11. Booted machine with a Live Linux disc (Parted Magic) and let it sit. No power issue noted. This should rule out a bad PSU.

12. Reinstalled Vista (again), but power-down issued persisted. This time it started even sooner, during OOBE setup (the part where you type in your name, etc).

13. Reloaded Windows 8 (borked) from image. It took Acronis 45 minutes to dump the image back onto the hard drive. No power-down issue in either Acronis or on Windows 8. It's now sitting with Windows 8 running happily.

At this point, the only thing it CAN be is either bad restore media (from HP) or funny electro-voodoo from the bad capacitors. Is there anything else I'm missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Noticed several swollen capacitors on the motherboard. (Hmmmm....)

Bad electrolytic capacitors can cause instability such as you are experiencing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hmcbass

hmcbass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

The same issue finally occurred while running Windows 8. It's so strange that it would run just fine under the Acronis Live CD and under the Parted Magic Live CD. Even under Windows 8 it stayed up for a couple of hours before losing power. Looks like electro-voodoo prevails.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

As a capacitor ages, its capacitance decreases while its equivalent series resistance (ESR) increases. When this happens, the capacitors no longer adequately serve their purpose of filtering the direct current voltages on the motherboard, and system instability results. Some common symptoms are:

* Not turning on all the time; having to hit reset or try turning the computer on again
* Instabilities (hangs, BSODs, kernel panics, etc.), especially when symptoms get progressively more frequent over time
* Vcore or other system voltages fluctuating or going out of range, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises
* Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
* Spontaneous reboots
* In case of onboard video cards, unstable image in some video modes
* Failing to complete the POST, or rebooting before it is completed
* Never starting the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead

There are more symptoms, but you get the idea. Failing electrolytic capacitors are usually recognizable visually, they tend to bulge (like yours) and or leak. You will need to replace the capacitors or the motherboard. I can't tell you that this is your only problem, but I can honestly say that this definitely is one which will only get worse left as it is.

Edited by dc3, 04 February 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 GwenNixon1978

GwenNixon1978

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Here's a thought - One-The CPU & Drives might be getting too hot--Is there dust in the vents?  Fans sound ok?  Case/tower dosen't have airflow (like confined..)?

Two-- some software "shut's down comp." when it's finished..most not set as a default, but like my defrag it can be set to shut down after optimizing and defragging, so maybe u have something running that's scanning/defragging...that's finished and closing out ur comp?

lemme know how u turn out.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

whistling.gif

Edited by dc3, 13 February 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#7 GwenNixon1978

GwenNixon1978

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

559984_4223479833379_1460693814_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users