Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hanging and Grey Screen at Start Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chrisandsherri

chrisandsherri

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi there,

Please forgive me if I'm not following rules about posting.

I have a desktop, custom built, that has been a nightmare since day one. Anyway, last time I brought it in for repairs they checked the motherboard and RAM- it was all fine, and they replaced my hard drive.

For the past month or so, my computer will freeze or hang while I'm in the middle of working on something. I'm a photographer and it usually happens when photoshop is left sitting open for a few minutes. Firefox will freeze and so will PS and Bridge.

When it freezes, nothing works. Ctrl+alt+delete will work to open the task manager, but it won't actually end any tasks when I try. I am forced to hold the power button down to shut it off.

About 3 days ago I got a message upon start up saying that I needed to check disk but immediately said that it couldn't check disk due to a corruption? Stating that a recently installed software was the problem and I needed to do a system restore. I tried to do a system restore to before I installed my machforms update and it wouldn't let me! Stated that the c drive is corrupt and I need to do a check disk. So it's sending me in a circle and I can't complete either.

Today, when I booted I received a lovely grey screen. This happened about 7 times before it booted normally. I tried to boot in safe mode but it froze.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you!

Sherri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

hi, do you only have one hard drive in the computer ,when you got hard drive changed did they install a new one ,if so take it back for warranty.
check the drive with utility from the manufacturer first if you want ,see list for maker of your drive , hdd utility

Edited by caperjac, 03 February 2013 - 07:24 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users