Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected or is the computer simply dying?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ohdearme

ohdearme

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

This is for an 2008 e-machine that runs of Windows 7. This is my mother's computer I am trying to fix. I am not sure how it got this way but now every time I try to start it, Windows tries to load but I get a message of file is missing or corrupt windows/system32/config/system then load the Windows recovery CD and then hit r to start repair. I hit "r" and the machines turns itself off and reboots only to get the same file is missing or corrupt.message. My mom has long thrown out her Windows 7, so I don't have that option to load the CD even if I could.

What I am wondering is this a virus I can possibly fix. (And if so, how?) Or is the computer simply dying and I should bury it in the PC graveyard?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hello -
The first thing we must try is to boot the computer in Normal or Safe Modes -

Boot the computer in safe mode and then check. To do this, follow the steps below:
Access the Advanced boot options menu by turning on your computer and pressing the F8 key continuously before Windows starts.
On the advanced boot options menu select Safe Mode With Command Prompt
See if you can then run the command sfc /scannow to look for corrupted files -

To request a recovery disk if you do want one >
Here is a link to the eMachine support website (they are owned by Gateway):
http://support.gateway.com/emac/
Here is eMachines contact page:
http://www.emachines.com/corporate/contacts.html

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users