Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it the hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 queensfull

queensfull

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have had this problem with 3 desktops. I get this beeping sound with a flashing red light next to the steady green light on the front of the pc. This time I turned on the pc and I heard 5 beeps, pause, 5 beeps again and nothing comes up on the monitor. Two days later I read an article that said you should disconnect hardware devices one at a time and try to pinpoint the problem. I started with the ram. Removed both, still beeping. Next I unplugged the cables to the hard drive, when I turned it on it stopped beeping. I plugged it back in and the pc was working again. I want to address the issue before it happens again, but I'm not sure what to do.

The pc-Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc5100 MT
Harddrive-WDC WD800JD-60LSA0 80 gig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

According to the HP documentation link, the 5 beep code refers to a bad stick of RAM. Have you tried alternately using the sticks if they are more than 1? I think you should remove all cable, power, motherboard connections including the CMOS battery for a hardware reset and then press the power button for atleast 30 seconds. Firmly reinsert each connection with one stick of RAM alternately on each slot.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users