Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manually setting IRQ in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wonton2112

Wonton2112

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Anyone have a guide on how to do this? On my new laptop my GPU, mouse, and keyboard are on the same IRQ... Any ideas?

Posted Image

Edited by Wonton2112, 02 February 2013 - 02:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hello

As long as it is working fine and It should be, do not worry about it. Sharing IRQs is nothing new to windows.

I am afraid that if you start tinkering with it, you will break it when it wasn't broken before.

You need to trust the manufacturer in this case.

This article for XP applies to newer operating systems too.

In Windows, peripheral component interconnect (PCI) devices can share IRQs. In accordance with the Plug and Play capability that is defined by the PCI specification, adapters are configured by the computer BIOS and are then examined by the operating system and changed if necessary. Typically, PCI devices have IRQs shared among them, especially on Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) computers that have Windows ACPI support enabled.

In Windows XP, Device Manager may list some or all the devices on your ACPI motherboard as using the same IRQ (IRQ 9). (To view the list of resources, click either Resources by type or Resources by connection on the View menu). No option is available to change the IRQ setting. Windows takes advantage of the ACPI features of the motherboard, including advanced PCI sharing. The PCI bus uses IRQ 9 for IRQ steering. With this feature, you can add more devices without IRQ conflicts.

Windows XP cannot rebalance resources in the same way that Microsoft Windows 98 does.

I haven't worried about IRQ conflicts since I moved up from Windows 98.

This might help to understand a little bit better?

Windows is limited to 16 physical IRQs (numbered 0 to 15), and uses virtual IRQs (16 and above) to internally manage the interrupt request assignments for additional devices. These virtual IRQs are shared with one of the 16 physical IRQs (0 to 15); however, Windows manages this internally and does not show you which actual physical IRQ it shares.

This is an image from my system, It runs flawlessly, I will say. (Knock Wood)

I hope this helps?
Roger
Posted Image

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Wonton2112

Wonton2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

The issue is, everything is /not/ working fine.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Then in my opinion you have a hardware problem not an IRQ problem. The maker would not design it to work poorly from the factory.

I suggest you get in touch with their Technical support and start the repair process.

What type of problem? That sharing of IRQs with the built in hardware should not be a problem.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Wonton2112

Wonton2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Then in my opinion you have a hardware problem not an IRQ problem. The maker would not design it to work poorly from the factory.

I suggest you get in touch with their Technical support and start the repair process.

What type of problem? That sharing of IRQs with the built in hardware should not be a problem.

Good Luck
Roger

The problem is the USB that is sharing the IRQ is tied to the keyboard and mouse so when the video card needs the processor keydown/keyup commands are dropped.

Looks like the only things that you're sharing on your IRQ's are PCI cards not HID's. PCI bus is designed to share IRQ, HID's are not designed to share IRQ hence why IRQ 1 and IRQ 2 are keyboard and mouse.

I cannot see how in any way this is a manufacturer issue. Especially considering the issue only came about upon installing Windows 8.

As for dealing with their tech support, I've gotten absolutely no useful reply, merely to make sure my drivers were up to date (which they are).

Edited by Wonton2112, 02 February 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#6 Wonton2112

Wonton2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

The problem is the USB that is sharing the IRQ is tied to the keyboard and mouse so when the video card needs the processor keydown/keyup commands are dropped.

Looks like the only things that you're sharing on your IRQ's are PCI cards not HID's. PCI bus is designed to share IRQ, HID's are not designed to share IRQ hence why IRQ 1 and IRQ 2 are keyboard and mouse.

I cannot see how in any way this is a manufacturer issue. Especially considering the issue only came about upon installing Windows 8.

As for contacting tech support, I have and their only suggestion has been to update the drivers (which they are) and to try uninstalling and reinstalling them (which I've done /several/ times now). :(

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi, I'm not sure you can change the IRQs in Windows 8. I did see a way to change priority for devices. But that was a registry edit and I'm not sure that would be helpful as changing the HIDs to a higher priority would affect the GPU performance. What puzzles me somewhat is that the bandwidth needed for USB HIDs should be really low.

I hope someone can help you with this puzzler.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi

I have a Windows 8 desktop here with an NVidia card and it has them both on the same IRQ and I haven't seen any problems. I do have another USB Host Controller on a different IRQ but that turns out to be the USB ports on the front of the computer which I usually only use for flash drives.

Some questions :)
Do you have more than one USB Host Controller with the other being on a different IRQ?
Are the USB ports that you are using on an expansion card?
Are you able to test a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to make sure that is not affected also?

James

#9 Wonton2112

Wonton2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi

I have a Windows 8 desktop here with an NVidia card and it has them both on the same IRQ and I haven't seen any problems. I do have another USB Host Controller on a different IRQ but that turns out to be the USB ports on the front of the computer which I usually only use for flash drives.

Some questions :)
Do you have more than one USB Host Controller with the other being on a different IRQ?
Are the USB ports that you are using on an expansion card?
Are you able to test a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to make sure that is not affected also?

James

The "USB controllers" at fault are actually the built-in mouse and keyboard on the laptop :(. Using an external keyboard/mouse via the USB ports (which are on a different controller and IRQ) work just perfectly, but that pretty much defeats the purpose of having bought a laptop.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Sorry, I did not see that it was a laptop. I probably should have had you clarify your setup such as manufacturer/model before trying to respond.

My point is that I don't see that IRQ set up being a problem and since it is a new laptop that has a malfunctioning mouse and keyboard then you need to return it.

Maybe someone else can confirm this but isn't IRQ 16 virtual and not even a real IRQ anyway?
I thought only 0 to 15 were real hardware interrupts in modern Windows OS.

James

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi James

according to here

Windows is limited to 16 physical IRQs (numbered 0 to 15), and uses virtual IRQs (16 and above) to internally manage the interrupt request assignments for additional devices. These virtual IRQs are shared with one of the 16 physical IRQs (0 to 15); however, Windows manages this internally and does not show you which actual physical IRQ it shares.

So You are right and any IRQ over 15 has to be a virtual IRQ assigned by Windows. The only thing I found was a way by editing the registry to change the IRQ's priority, but not the actual IRQ.

I love this virtual IRQ system, after fighting windows 95 and windows 98 to clear IRQ conflicts. So much easier not to have to play with setting address and IRQ to avoid a conflict, and then running out of free resources sometimes.

I may also be wrong but I don't remember that the keyboard and touchpad in a laptop as being USB devices. All the ones I've seen had more wires than a USB device would need.

Best Regards
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 February 2013 - 12:04 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users