Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Seems to be working too hard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Let me preface by saying that, in May of this year, my computer will be a decade old and it has 1 upgrade...from 256 to 512 mb of Ram.

My computer tends to run really hard when I wake it from hibernating, especially when I leave Google Chrome open. Watching the task manager, I can tell that it is not using a lot of memory to do anything. The green light that tells me my hard drive is working is going nuts, though. Once I exit a few things, that I often left open for a reason, it calms down.

My question boils down to the following:

1) Is there possibly something wrong with my hard drive?
2) If yes, is there anything I can do to fix/replace it?
3) If no, does it just mean that it is time for a much faster computer?

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ten years is a long life span for a hadd, there's the normal wear and tear, and problems like sector failures which will take their toll on it. What I would suggest doing at this point is to download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the test to determine the condition of this drive.

To help you do this please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi,

Since you only have 512Mb of Ram the computer is using the hard drive constantly for virtual memory. Steady drive access is one sign that you do not have enough memory.

If you budget and the computer support it, a memory upgrade to 2Gb (gigabytes) of memory would make a big difference in speed. I said if your computer supports it. That will depend on the motherboard.

What make and model of computer is it if it is a brand name. Or what make and model of motherboard is it if the computer was built to order or self built.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Dell Dimension 8250.

I think I looked into this a while ago. I am doubtful my computer can support more ram. But, I may be wrong.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well, from here https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8250/specs.htm#1105389

Maximum memory
2 GB for PC800
1.5 GB for PC1066

Memory type
PC 1066 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed

PC 800 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system clock speed

it shows you have RDRAM AKA Rambus memory. You would have to match the memory speed exactly.

So you would have to go into the BIOS setup and see what speed memory it shows, Press F2 when the Dell Logo appears on the screen before it boots up. There will be a memory section that I seem to remember you highlight then hit enter.

RamBus used to be expensive, I'm not sure if it has dropped nowdays.

As an example I did see this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension-8250-8200-8100-2GB-Kit-4x-512mb-PC800-40-Rambus-Memory-ELPIDA-/150866694231?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item23205b1057 $59.99 Free shipping. Only an example as you may have PC 1066

I suspect that from what you say about a memory upgrade in the past you currently have four pieces of 128Mb memory.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 February 2013 - 05:59 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users