Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replacing norton anti virus 2012

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RichardCB

RichardCB

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Have used Norton 2012 anti virus this past year and had problems with it. Needed to be re installed various times and did not stop the BSOD. Am willing to pay for anti virus software, just don't know what would be better than norton. Also, reviews of 2013 norton anti virus have not been encouraging. Any advise ???

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2013 - 11:13 AM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Theere is no need to pay for an AV program...there are reliable alternatives.

Three that come to mind...Avast Free, Avira Free, Microsoft Security Essentials.

You can find more information in the forum I am moving your topic to, AV, Firewall, etc.

Louis

#3 RichardCB

RichardCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thank you for your advise. When I go to use say SpyBot Search and Destroy, should I turn off the Norton Security 2012? I guess I don't know how it will affect it. I still have around 40 days left on my subscription to norton.
Thanks for your help.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Spybot is an anti spyware program, not an anti virus. It won't conflict with Norton. But Spybot was recommended years ago but not anymore. You are better off with Malware Bytes ans Superantispyware as on demand scanners.

#5 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hi
I was a Norton User for sometime and i remember very well that Spybot and Norton cause issues..

In Norton Forums its recommended not to use as the Tea Timer component causes plenty of issues.
Norton 2013 is not great.As far as AV goes Security Essentials has failed again I`m using it cause I`m behind a firewall(college) and pen drive threats is all I have to worry about.
I have asked the question in this community time and again regarding if free is necessary or not and the answer is Paid have a few extra bells
Do you need those bells that Decision is upto you.Back Home my experiment with a free AV was very bad.

So My experience was bad and the thing I summarized was what was told by the experts of this community what AV to choose depends on the person

Norton Antivirus 2012 slows down you computer when compared to the Internet Security Suite :o

If you are gonna Buy a paid suite you should try Bitdefender(slows system a bit) or Kaspersky(Windows 8 Issues)
Both have excellent rating in various Testing done by avcomparitives or AV-test you should take a look at them these are cheaper than Norton too.....
Eset Is another Choice I found it to be the lightest quietest of the lot although it has not done well in AV-test when compared to Kaspersky/Norton/Bitdefender
but My friends have used and have not faced any issues so far.

Edited by midou1994, 03 February 2013 - 07:09 AM.

Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users