Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to convert Basic to Dynamic disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zolly

Zolly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have an XP comp that has 2 partitions on it according to disk management 55mb Fat and 75G NTFS I want to create an extra part on the 75G NTFS Partition but if I either go through Comp management or via the Diskpart command I am unable to convert it.

I have only one disk according to diskpart and when selected it confirms that I this disk is now the active disc. But when I type in the convert dynamic it comes up the selected disc cannot be upgraded? is this because their is a part that is FAT 32 (this comp was supplied with this configuration pre loaded)

Is their a way round this,would it mean converting the disc to basic and then having to convert to dynamic?

If someone could shed some light on first of all why someone would set it up like this with a small part of FAT32 and if indeed the above is a viable solution, or is their another way

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Sounds to me as if the smaller partition may be a logical partition, which is part of the larger partition...but that's a wild guess.

Please post a screenshot from Disk Management.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot, LH - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Some OEM computer manufacturers add a second partition to a hdd for system recovery, these are usually set as FAT32 files. I would suggest leaving it alone.

Unless you are going to be setting up a RAID array I would just set it as Basic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

I can tell you that the 55Mb partition sounds like what Dell does with their computers. In a Dell that 55Mb FAT partition holds the Dell Diagnostic software that cab accessed when the Dell logo appears on the screen by pressing F12, which is the Boot Device menu. That menu will let you select which device to boot from, Run Diagnostics or go to the BIOS setup. Also on a Dell F2 when the Dell logo appears on the screen will also take you to the BIOS Setup screen(s).

I Concur leave the drive set as it is. There is a risk of trashing your windows when you start changing it's settings.

If you need another drive for something, You can add a second drive to the computer fairly inexpensively.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users