Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing Wifi.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thebestrc

thebestrc

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hi. I've recently installed Windows 8 on a new partition on my pc (I'm still running WinXPSP3 on the other partition) and it installed fine. However i'm unable to install the drivers for Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter. I've been to there site to download the latest drivers REALTEK Wireless (reseaux Sans fils) but when i install them it goes through the whole process but yet my wifi adapter still isn't installed.

When i went to device manager it was listed as a problem device and when i tried to update the driver from there it wouldn't let me.

Can anyone help because i can't really do much on Win8 without the internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hello thebestrc,

Can we assume that you downloaded and installed the following driver from the download link you provided:

REALTEK RTL8187/RTL8187L Wireless (Drivers)
Windows 7 32/64bits - Version 6.1316.1209.2009.

If not, please download the driver above and save it to your Desktop, uninstall the present Realtek driver via Control Panel | (View by: Large icons) Program and Features, and then install the new driver. Reboot and try the connection again.

As you can see, there is no specific Windows 8 driver for your Wireless USB device.
  • See this link: Windows Compatibity Center regarding Realtek RTL8187 Wireless Network Adapter and Windows 8.
  • Some have success and some don't.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I tried installing the driver you suggested but it didn't work. The installation process stops halfway and says System not supported or words to that effect. Screenshots below detail the problem. My PC recognises the NIC and says the drivers need to be reinstalled but I'm unable to do so. Any other thoughts apart form buying a new NIC?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

The only other suggestion I have is to try and install the Wireless drivers in compatibilty mode.
  • See this post.
  • Arrow down to All Replys - Method 3:
  • see "If Windows 8 driver Wireless are not available."

Regards,
Brooks

#5 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Success of sorts anyway. I finally managed to install the wifi drivers through compatibility mode. Bad news is i can't connect to any of the networks at all. All my other devices in the house can connect. I tripled checked the password i entered, turned the router on and off but to no avail.

Thoughts anyone?

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

don't have an answer just a suggestion as new usb wifi device  is really not that expensive and far more advanced  faster and go further than the one you are having no success using ,good luck

Edited by caperjac, 09 February 2013 - 10:41 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 pat100

pat100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Windows 8 seems to install the wrong driver or it installst wo conflicting drivers. I don't know which is true.

I searched the registry for "realtek" and deleted all the wireless and 8187 references (about 8) . Then I uninstalled the adapter in Device Manager. Then restarted and found a new "5 bars" icon in my notification area. If not (it varied) then I installed the correct drivers in device manager (to the adapter or to the "Unknown Device")

What a pain!!!!

NB You may want to export the registry keys before you delete them. If it goes pear-shaped you can then restore them. If the key lists a lot of other devices, just delete the "realtek" bit. Be careful if you have other realtek devices!

#8 zailaiboke

zailaiboke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

delete them. If it goes pear-shaped you can then restore them. If the key lists a lot of other devices, just delete the "realtek" bit. Be careful if you have other realtek devices!

Mod Edit:  Removed unnecessary link interpreted as promoting a forum of no value to this topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2013 - 08:55 AM.
PM sent re link removal - Hamluis.

#9 Suetekh

Suetekh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

Hi. I've had the same problem. Found a solution in installing Beta package for RTL8187L 1316(Beta) 2011/2/23  from realtek download page:  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8187L

I'm on win 8.1 right now and it's all working just fine. I've had some minor issues. First I coudn't connect to any of networks using Rtl Lan Utility but  in windows connection  worked fine. Doday I installed  an optional update from windows update and Rtl Lan Utility is working fine. 

#10 yh2013

yh2013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

1. Select hardware installed in Device Manager (RTL8187 wireless)
2. With right click on the mouse select Update Driver Software.
3. Choose Browse my computer for driver software.
4. Select Browse and locate the folder named "Driver" that is located in the manufacturer cd (Drivers and Guide).
5. Finally wait and Windows 8 will find the driver and install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users