Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 misbehaving after update installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michboru

Michboru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Windows 8 shipped with new Dell desktop. Using my existing flatscreen non-touch monitor and new Logitech mouse and keyboard. Mouse and keyboard work great, Windows 8 was annoying but usable...until January updates auto-installed. Latest update was Jan 23. After that update, I could not get Google Chrome to remain as default browser - computer switched to Bing after closing a search or starting a new one. Worse, I could not open an .mp3 file attached to a GMail message. When I clicked on the file, the Metro music screen popped up by my selection was nowhere to be found. These are choir .mp3's they're mailed weekly, and they're critical to me. So I did a system restore to January 3, and now things are sort of back to normal. Chrome doesn't go away and I open those .mp3's like I used to.

I'm afraid to allow Microsoft to update again, and the log indicated one of them was a security update and another was a critical update. Any ideas what the heck happened to Chrome and opening music files from GMail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

So as not to start another thread I'll add that my brand new PC also had issues in Jan after an update. It kept randomly crashing on me. I did a recovery and shut auto update off.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I had a client with a problem very similar to the OP's around Jan 23. By the time that I got out to see them (several days later since it was not an emergency), the issue seemed to have resolved itself. However, the client was instructed to call me ASAP if it starts happening again so I can catch it.

Did another update fix it?
Did something else happen other than the update?
I don't know.

I guess my point is that I don't think this is an isolated incident. If I find out any more info, I'll post it here.
Next time you try another update, please let us know the results.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users