Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space, Again

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gsiamrod

gsiamrod

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Mod Edit; Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic483273.html - Hamluis.

Budapest, I am new here and this is my first post.Your answer to above thread is exactly what I am trying to fix. The link you posted covers my situation to a Tee. However, at the point of "From the Folder Options window in explorer, double click Recovery(D), I am stopped. In my Folders Options window, there is no Recovery (D). At this point, I cannot access the files. There is only General, View, Search tabs and nowhere is Recovery(D). Any idea how I can open D to see files? Any help is appreciated. I am running Vista Home edition and on last backup, had to quit. Attempted to use Norton backup and it hanged after first DVD got full.Then, I noticed drive D was nearly full. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Are you able to see the D drive in the "system Protection" tab of the "System Properties"?

Posted Image
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gsiamrod

gsiamrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yes. It is unchecked.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Did you uncheck it, or was it already unchecked?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 gsiamrod

gsiamrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

Budapest, it was already unchecked. Disk D is showing 900KB free , disk size 9.16GB. Cannot imagine why any files would go to D.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Can you please post the exactly wording of the low disk space warnings you are receiving. Also, what operations are you performing when you receive these messages?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 gsiamrod

gsiamrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Norton will from time to time warn of high CPU usage. It says:"Warning!High CPU usage" along with a CPU screen and graph.Sometimes when I am playing chess and other times when I have several apps opened. Drive D is only the recovery data, but in the past, I have noticed it at about 3/5's full. Now it is almost completely full. I noticed it when backup attempt using Norton. Norton hanged on first full DVD and would not resume. At this point, I assumed Norton was the culprit, though some other reason for the drive to fill up may be present. It is still at 904KB free of 9.16MB cap. nothing else going into it at present. Am using flash memory for xtra ram. Would drive D cause the warnings? Thanks.

#8 gsiamrod

gsiamrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Budapest, I meant to say 904 MB out of 9.16 GB. Am tired tonight and foggy in the brain. Thanks

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

It does not sound like a problem with the D drive to me. Next time you get a high CPU warning you should open the Task Manager and find out which process is using all your CPU (ignore the System Idle Process).

Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, and then clicking Start Task Manager.

Posted Image

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users