Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new XP instal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have just had to replace the hard drive in my PC. I have reinstalled XP home, service pack 3. It all seems to work fine except the audio. all sound plays fine for a minute or so and then distorts for about 10 seconds and carries on distorting every minute or so. when i shut down the windows 'jingle' is garbled. I have updated drivers but it has made no difference. the sound was fine previously. i have googled around but cant find a solution that works, or one that someone not overly computer savvy can understand. I dont think its a speaker problem as the sound also distorts through headphones.

is this a common/fixable issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Try the MS FixIt, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/ .

As a general suggestion, I'm going to suggest that the collection of MS FixIt tools be tried for many commonly reported system problems. If nothing else, it may help define where the problem lies.

Louis

#3 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Louis. I will try the MS Fixlt now

#4 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've just run the MS Fixlt. the result is - 'there is a problem with an unknown device. attempts to repair it have failed. if the problem persists consult manufacturer for driver and compatibility support'

Guess i'll have to call Dell. annoying really as i've not found them helpful in the past. I cant understand what compatibility/ driver issue there can be? its a brand new install and updated drivers.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Uninstall the audio drivers currenly in there...then install the applicable audio drivers from the Dell website for that system...or from the original install CD, if you have such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users