Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can Make A Poll Too

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Your choice for HD format (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Which format do you thinks should win the upcoming format war?

1. HD-DVD 15GB (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. BR-DVD 25GB (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. VCDHD 4.7GB (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. PH-DVD ~100GB (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

So who are you hoping should be the next winner? Who should just be voted of the island?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

I vote the HD-DVD
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

I still use 5.25" floppies.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

I voted for BR-DVD, because Ps3 is going to have a blue-ray drive...

And wtf is a PH-DVD? Never heard of it...

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:11 PM

Blueray will pervail. Sony may have lost round 1 (betamax vs. vhs) However I think they got the right idea this time.

And technically Blueray is not a DVD. It's a BD-ROM not a BD-DVD

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bdrom.htm

Edited by yano, 30 March 2006 - 09:12 PM.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:22 AM

Yeah well all I can say is it doesnt matter who wins they better get them down to at least 30 bucks a disk with the movie on it or not many are going to waste there time. I guess when they come out the high prices on dvds will go down and vhs will be cut off the market so they can get rid of analog.

Also these safety restrictions I have been hearing about that wont let the disk play in HD unless you have a certain cable so you cant copy the dvd will make people not buy it. I read the cable is expensive. HDMI I think its called.

There are safety precautions on normal dvds and people can easily copy them with tools that were made. How long can this stupid restriction they put on the disks last?

Now I think Blue-ray will be a top seller because it holds more. 25 gb should let them be able to store extras also in HD and not just the main movie.

From 15 to 25 gb is a lot of extra space if you know what I mean.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:42 AM

I'm going to hold out for the time being for the holographic DVD, 1.6 terabytes. :thumbsup:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Holographi...ytes/1133197797

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

......i probably couldn't fill up a terabyte of space if i tried my hardest....

Is that supposed to be some sort of mock high-capacity disc or what? It's hard to imagine a compact disc holding more than a standard harddrive..... (but don't hdd's use a sort of disc technology...)?

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

Ět is interesting that everyone is voting Blue-Ray, considering it is by far the most expensive.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:48 AM

They're all going to be relatively expensive at first, but the prices will drop when they become popular, and are able to produce more discs/players. Look at the dvd. When it first came out, a brand new dvd player could cost thousands. Now you can get one for about $50.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users