Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice with desktop memory solution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cloudnyn3

cloudnyn3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ok so I have a Core i7 920 Rig, it runs on an ASUS Rampage Formula III.

I'm currently trying to get re-certed for my MCITP 70-640 and I don't have enough memory to run a Forest domain and then 2 clients with 2 more domain controllers. It eats up all of my memory!!! I keep having to shut stuff down or remove load from certain machines and its really getting in the way of me studying. I need ATLEAST 12GB, but here's my questions. If I take 6 4GB Memory sticks and put them on the mobo, will the function correctly? I don't need them to be triple-channel and all that, I just need alot of memory to function all at once. Am I better off just buying a 12gb kit? Or can I pack like 24GB into my rig?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Your motherboard supports up to 24GB of RAM across 6 slots. Any combination of RAM modules (of equal size) that is less than or equal to 24GB in 6 slots will work. 6x4GB is just as good as 4x6GB or 2x12GB. As a rule, you should always have a even number of RAM modules (2, 4, 6, etc.) Using an odd number may result in some performance penalties (or may not work at all, depending on the motherboard.)

Both the OS and the software must be 64-bit versions. A 32 bit piece of software, even running on 64-bit Windows, can only use up to 4GB of memory; a 64-bit piece of software on 64-bit Windows effectively has no memory limits.

Edited by Andrew, 01 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Mobo Specs

I'd go the route of buying new RAM...you don't mention manufacturer or anything else re the RAM you are thinking of using and RAM is dirt cheap now...module compatibility is not a guaranteed thing, IME.

But I'm not a hardware guy and you had better await some inputs from those who know a lot more about these things than I do.

FWIW: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284857-30-best-memory-asus-rampage-formula AND http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Rampage%20III%20Formula&Cat=RAM

Louis

#4 cloudnyn3

cloudnyn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users