Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes at boot screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 intaki

intaki

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Peace:
this just started when I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a K8V-Mx-series computer. When the drive is removed, machine boots normally. If I insert the drive after machine has booted, drive is recognized and can be mounted. Ubuntu 12.04 was installed from a flashdrive. I don't think the os is causing this. I can't find anything on the web about this problem. Thanks, aki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hello intaki,

No idea what the issue is from what little you've posted and what I could find.

It sounds like you installed Ubuntu from a flash drive onto your systems hard drive. As long as the USB flash drive isn't plugged in at the time the system boots the machine both your system and the USB flash drive work fine. Is this correct?

Have you tried other USB drives to see if it's just the one device? Is the USB flash drive still setup to boot/install Ubuntu? Have you checked any log files to see where things hang?

Just a few questions that might get this resolved faster.

Regards,
Zen

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi,

I would guess you have your BIOS still set up to boot from flash drive and the flash drive itself is still set as bootable as well, but no longer contains an OS. So when you insert the flash drive and then start the PC, it will try to boot from the flash drive (and fail, because there's no OS on it anymore). When you remove the flash drive, it will select the option next in line and boot from the hard drive.

I've given myself quite the scare with a similar configuration. There's nothing more beautiful, than when you want to retrieve an important file from your PC and it displays "Operating system not found" on boot. :wacko: Luckily, removing the flash drive and rebooting fixed that "issue". :whistle:

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Peace:
Thanks for the response. You are correct. It was the faulty OS on the flash-drive that was causing the problem. I had installed Ubuntu 12.04 from the drive first. Then downloaded and attempted to try 12.10 from this same drive but on 2 different computers with the results being No Launchpad or Menubar on Desktop after booting. The download was faulty. After formatting this drive no problem when inserted into a port. BUT-how can a flashdrive be bootable and have no OS on it?aki

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

as long as the boot loader remains on the flash drive or the partition on the flash drive is marked as bootable, it will try to boot from it. Especially the latter, the partition being marked as bootable, is something you can not change by deleting/adding files to your flash drive, so it will remain even after you deleted all the files from your flash drive. Reformatting, as you found out, will fix it, as, by default, no partition will be marked as bootable.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users