Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hiyoko Tachikawa

Hiyoko Tachikawa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic131291.html - Hamluis.

Something similar happens to me, but on a VAIO laptop. :S Mostly, when I turn it on, but today it also happened when I was moving the laptop from one table to another. My lines are bigger, though, and they appear in like 3 columns across the screen. Everything freezes up and I have to turn it off using the button. :( I would upload a picture, but I haven't been able to get one, since my camera keeps showing other weird lines, besides the one from the screen itself, LOL. But I'm working on it.

My laptop is a very old VAIO VGN-N150F with 100 GB of hard disk and 1 GB of RAM, running on Windows XP.

Do any of you happen to know what might be the problem? :(

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2013 - 08:23 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi All -
Have any of you attempted to log on with Safe Mode. If so what is the result ? Is the problem always there oe only after rinning for more than 10 minutes ??

This can result fron anything related to wrong Graphics settings / card failure, all the way up to Power Supply Unit failing.
Personally ; Try the Graphics settings (you may get some adjustments in Safe Mode). Have the PSU tested for correct Voltage output.
Enter BIOS and check the Temperature and Voltage settings. Recheck all connections and look at the MotherBoard for faulty Capacitors / Resistors.

This is only list 1 -
The next list requires Voltage meters, spare monitors, spare PSUs, and a lot of spare time.

I currently have 10 sets of 7 vertical blue lines spaced about 1" apart, but the XP is almost 10 years old, in Safe mode and will be in the trash when I get a few $$$ together.

@ Pareeeee - How old is the computer, and what components have you ever replaced in it ??

Edited by noknojon, 31 January 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#3 Hiyoko Tachikawa

Hiyoko Tachikawa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thank you for the reply (and for moving my topic here, sorry for posting it where it didn't belong). Unfortunately, my problem happens on a laptop, so I don't have a CPU to test and, even if I did, I have no idea how to do that, hahaha. In fact, I don't know how to do most of the things described, unfortunately. I only use the computer and my knowledge of its inner parts (either software or hardware) is fairly limited. :S

I have entered Safe Mode, though, and, so far, nothing's happened. In fact, when the laptop would freeze as soon as I turn it on, I would turn it off through the button, turn it on again after a little while and enter Safe Mode. From there, I reboot and, usually, Windows is able to load normally. But, these past few days, the laptop has gotten frozen not on startup, but while doing other things, like being away-from-keyboard in a videogame. Also, I noticed it's rebooted itself spontaneously, a couple of times, even though I have deactivated the "automatic reboot" thingie that supposedly makes a computer reboot when getting a BSOD. :P

I have no idea how to access the BIOS to check the things you suggested, but I'll look and see what I can find... Maybe something will turn up. :S

Thanks for your time and suggestions. :)

EDIT @ 2013.02.01: I just managed to get a picture of the freezing + weird lines in the screen. Maybe this will shed some light into this awful matter... >.<

Thank you!

Posted Image

Edited by Hiyoko Tachikawa, 01 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

If possible, please do the following:

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 . The result will be a link that you post...do not paste the Speccy report into your reply :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users