Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good for CS6 ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StroudyIT

StroudyIT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hi,

I am building a computer for my friend who is a keen photographer and has CS6. His current dual core desktop is a bit slow. He is still unsure that the custom build PC I have suggested is good enough so if I can get a few responses confirming that the below spec is more than capable of running Photoshop CS6 that would be great.

Spec is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-78LMT AM3+ 4400MT/s
AMD Quad Core FX4170 CPU
16GB DDR3 1333 RAM (standard Kingston stuff)
Asus GT640 Graphics card 2GB DDR3 (based on Nvidia 640 chipset)
256gb OCZ SSD main Hard Drive
2TB WD 7200rpm SATA drive (storage)
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Samsung DVD RW optical Drive
6-1 Card Reader
550w PSU
Standard ATX Case

I have said several times that it will handle CS6 without even breaking a sweat but he is very sceptical (About everything!) so if I can get a few resonses from other people I can show him and get the dang thing built.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I would suggest a slightly different build.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 - If you are going for an AM3+ CPU, you should get an AMD 900 series chipset as they are designed for these fairly new processors. The non-AMD 900 series does have compatibility but not the ability to use some of the newer power features of AM3+. $94

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz or AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz - These are six and eight "core" parts. The reason I suggest these is because of the workload and the CPU design. The FX parts are unique in their architecture. They have two tightly bound cores that share certain resources. Unless the program is optimized to use the chip efficiently, it will view each of the cores as independent when they are only semi-independent. So, the FX-4000 series doesn't function, nor has it the same performance, as many true quad core parts. Programs that value physical cores, like Handbrake, do very well with the FX series of CPU's. This is why the FX-8000 and FX-6000 series will offer a greater benefit. $139 and $179 respectively.

I also suggest Windows 8 as that operating system is designed to use the unusual architecture of FX a little more efficiently than Windows 7.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users