Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death and what i did

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

I woke up one morning recently to the BSOD:
xxx stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82376820, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

not knowing what to do i reinstalled Windows XP SP2 from the original CD i have for this computer (i never installed SP3 since i use a dialup ISP)
i didnt wipe out the HD so its not a clean install

My 120GB external hard drive which i was relying on to harbor my much needed word files was empty too or perhaps when i tried to view the files i may have deleted or wiped them clean them by reinstalling it on newly reinstalled Windows XP system i set up.

i lost most of my needed microsoft word files, although ive recovered some using a free version of Pandora but not nearly all, perhaps you have some suggestions here?
i tried Recuva but only file names and not the contents come back with that

im downloading and installing some of the apps and programs i had on this computer
however when i try to reinstall bitpim version 1.06 or version 1.07 i keep getting the same error msg:
"this aplication has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" (It didnt!) "See the logfile C:Program Files\BitPim\bitpimw.exe.lng.."

Im using
Windows XP Home SP2 version 2002 dialup with Netzero

Im not much more than a newbie when it comes to computers so please take the time to explain what i need to do to
1) recover my lost word files (if thats possible for free) and
2)reinstall bitpim 1.06 or 1.07 versions, i had no problem installing it previously on this computer to download and view my pics with the cable i bought, so i neeed to get rid of the MSVCP71.dll error msg to do so

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

You should not have installed the OS again - a bsod is not something that necessarily requires the OS to be reinstalled - generally it's a minor issue that can be fixed. And if you did a full install but did not format, you probably did a "parallel" install and now have two Windows installations. Boot the system and open Windows Explorer. Do you see a folder named "Windows Old" or "Windows.old"? If so, that's your original Windows. And all of your files are still on the system in their original locations.

Here's my suggestion. At this point you should search the system for all of the files you need. Download them to removable media (cd, dvd, usb drive, external hd, whatever). Make sure you have everything you need. Then create an sp3 slipstream cd (http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstream-xp-service-pack-3.shtml). It doesn't matter if you are using dial up or the fastest broadband connection available - you need to have the newest release of the OS installed at all times. You can download sp3 and create the disc on a different system if need be. Then boot to the newly created cd, format the drive, and install the OS from scratch. Make sure you then install all of the needed drivers (starting with the chipset driver) and then Windows Updates (only critical updates, no hardware or driver updates).

#3 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Question:
When you say I should search the system, what exactly should I do?
How do I boot the system and open windows explorer?
How do I search the system? You mean the old windows?
Im not sure I remember exact file names i'm looking for in microsoft word
Sorry but i am a newbie AND THANKS

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Boot to the new OS (that's the only one you can boot to). If you can't remember the file names, open Windows Explorer and start looking around for the files - in My Documents in the Windows.old folder probably.

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

This may be a dumb question. How do you open Windows Explorer? Do I right clock on something? O know some advanced things, but I dont know the basis, I apologize for my LACK OF SKILL

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

You can either click on the Windows Explorer link in PROGRAMS or you can go to START - RUN and type: explorer (then press ENTER)

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

When I return home Im going to try thr above to recover my word files

If I should experience the BSOD for similar reasons (I believe I was shutting the computer down with the on/off switch) how would I get back onto Windows the next time?
Thank you

#8 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

"Boot the system and open Windows Explorer. Do you see a folder named "Windows Old" or "Windows.old"? If so, that's your original Windows. And all of your files are still on the system in their original locations."

Allan:
Just to confirm I'm following you I did the following and found neither "Windows Old" or "Windows.old" folders:
Start - Programs - Accessories - Windows Explorer
A pane on the left opened up with all kinds of files and folders, I opened them searching for Windows Old or Windows.old and found neither, I tried doing a search for any of my old word files names, nothing turned up except some with some kind of strange unreadable gibberish inside the said files, unreadable and undeciperable.

Any other suggestions as to how to recover my old microsoft word files? I already tried Recuva and found some old file names but with the same kind of gibberish inside, unreadable and undecipherable

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

You should see the old Windows in the pane on the left side. If you don't, I'm not at all sure what you did. If you installed Windows on a system that already had a Windows installation and you did not first format (and you did not do a repair install instead of a full installation, which I'm assuming you did not) then there has to be a folder containing the original Windows installation. Can you please tell me the names of the folder in the left pane of Explorer under the c: drive listing (just the top level folders, not the sub folders).

#10 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Desktop
My Documents
My Computer
My Network Places
Recycle Bin
And all folders that i have on my desktop now

I didnt do a repair youre correct, I did a full install, at first I clicked on a repair but nothing seemed to be happening so I went to a full installation, but im sure i didnt format the drive

You said C Drive but I dont see any reference to the drive, just the word "Folders" over the above

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

In the left pane, click on My Computer. If that expands, click on C: Drive. Now do you see the old Windows Installation? If it doesn't expand, look in the right pane and double-click on C: drive. Now do you see the old Windows installation?

#12 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I right clicked on the C Drive and found four folders: Dell, Documents and Settings, Program Files, and WINDOWS. I opened each folder, WINDOWS being the largest folder, and found nothing in any with the word old in there, nothing I havent seen already in the present installation

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Are there any drives beside c: drive? And by the way, please be careful with instructions. I asked you do double-click, not right-click. No big deal this time :)

#14 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Yes Im aware not to accidentally delete any of those files, thanks

There's a smaller D Drive with nothing on it, I double clicked on it and an external Hard Drive which I had hoped would have all my files when this happened but has nothing but what I have restored to this point using Pandora and some new files I just made.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Please try one more thing. Go to START - RUN and type command (then press ENTER). This should bring up a command prompt window. When it opens, please type the following in the window:

cd c:\ (press ENTER).
dir (press ENTER)

The first command should take you to the root of C: drive and the command prompt should change to C:\> The second command will bring up a list of files and folders in the root of c: drive. Just checking one more time - is there more than one Windows folder?

Edited by Allan, 04 February 2013 - 04:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users