Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Reading...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

any disc i happen to put in does not work, It used to work when i put some cds in, like lets just say i put in a music cd, it wont play, nothing happens, something used to happen, now its just....

anyway, my hardrive stop reading discs, everything else works though, what do i do?

Edited by jgweed, 30 March 2006 - 04:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Go into the Control panel. Double click on the "System" icon. Click on the "Hardware" tab, then click on "Device Manager". Click on the "+" symbol to the left of DVD/CD ROM drives. Now, it should list your drive that you have (you didn't specify DVD or CD). On the name of your drive, right click then click on "Uninstall". It might ask you if you are sure you want to uninstall the drive, say yes or ok (whichever pops up). After it's done uninstalling, restart your computer. When it gets to the Windows desktop, a little pop up window should appear in the lower right hand corner of your screen saying something to the effect of "New hardware found". Let it run it's course. Windows should automatically install the drive for you. Hopefully this will fix the problems. It sounds as if the computer "lost contact" (for lack of a better term) with the drive. I've had this happen to me before quite a few times and uninstalling it and letting Windows reinstall it has fixed it.

Hope it helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

Your referring to your CDROM drive or DVD drive? Unfortunately these drives can die without warning. It could be due to dirt build-up on the optical lens which can be cleaned using a Lens Cleaning CD available in computer shops and some supermarkets. I think it's more likely some of the electronics has died in which case you will need to replace the CD/DVD drive. They are really cheap now and replacement is easy. Post back if you want help doing that. :thumbsup:

(BTW - the computer case is not the hard drive, the hard drive is just one component inside the case).

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users