Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am running combofix and dont have a helper

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jnhidden

jnhidden

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

I was originally trying to uninstall Adaware after it was updated. I didn't realize I shouldn't install and run ComboFix without help. I was able to get rid of AdAware but now I want to uninstall ComboFix. After reading more carefully it seems I need to get a helper to help me do that. I do have a log file that it created in c:/ (combofix.txt I believe). Please let me know what I should do. I do not know if I need any of the backup files ComboFix saved and I read that uninstalling it would delete those. Can someone help? Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,754 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.
===

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bold text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

===

If that fails to remove it, reinstall the tool and then proceed with the uninstall instruction.

If you still have issues with this computer do not uninstall just yet.

Post the log for my review.

Include the log from this scan also.

Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
    • DDS.scr <- not recommended if you use Chrome to download this .scr file. Use the other options.
    • DDS.pif
    • DDS.COM
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.

Posted Image

Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.

#3 jnhidden

jnhidden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hello nasdaq. Thank you for helping me.

I did the following: ComboFix /Uninstall
and got
ComboFix -- Warning!! --
A critical update is required.
ComboFix shall now update itself
OK Button

Clicked OK

Downloading ComboFix.exe

Then got the software as-is warning message:
software is provided 'as is', without warranty of any kind. etc..

Should I continue? It seems like it is installing now but maybe it needs to update/install before I can Uninstall it?
Please advise. Thanks!!

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Yes allow the new version. Then delete it.

#5 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 40,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users